Complete France Forum

Internet again!

Morning All

We have been living in Calvados, in permanent residence, for ten years. During that time we have had an FT / Orange fixed telephone and internet with a speed which varies between 0.5 and 1.5 mg. The speed drops when temprary residents arrive to stay in their second homes. The Conseil Municipal (of which I was a member until the last election) has tried to get something done, but basically all we get is handwringing and mutterings about how difficult it all is. We are in a Zone Blanche. It seems that the only development regionally is going into fibre optics and we will not get that.

Before we consider (again) going down the satellite route, I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of what else we could do?

We use about 17gig a month at the moment so would need a hefty satellite package and that is before we have the possibility of TV, films, VOIP etc.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Have you tried WifiMax (Nomotech as was). Many years ago when they first started in Normandy we were with them, 2mb up and 2mb down. I was speaking to some people a month ago who are with them and are pleased with the service (when it works ;) ). You need to mount a receiver on your property with line of site to one of their transmiters, usually mounted on a local water tower, church etc. Worth checking them out as part of your research.

We asked about Wifi Max, but apparently the local terrain is unsuitable. The commune is in a series of valleys above the Orne and the problem, if I have understood correctly, is that there is no clear line of sight (not actual sight obviously) to a suitable building.

[quote user="EmilyA"]speed which varies between 0.5 and 1.5 mg......We use about 17gig a month at the moment so would need a hefty satellite package and that is before we have the possibility of TV, films, VOIP etc........Any ideas gratefully received!

[/quote]Move perhaps [6]

What on earth are you doing to consume 17gig/mth though and equally how are you doing it on that sort of connection ?

I know of nothing other than satellite which will provide that level of consumption, or certainly nothing which won't bankrupt you !

BTW I don't think you would have been too popular on a WiMax service gobbling up 17gig/mth and in fact I'm not sure the system would have even let you.

Mrs Q uses about the same if not more as a lot of her stuff is video and is normally between one and one and a half gb each file. Sure she doesn't need it in HD and each file could be reduced to about 300mb but she gets what she is given and has no choice. The there is all the 'Olympus' audio files she gets on top. I have to down load my stuff overnight which is usually video stuff. Actually thinking about it we probably download nearly 30gb per month the bulk of which is her. So I can quite easly see somebody using 17gb if they are running a business. Lucky that Orange (France) does not set limits.

We were quite surprised when we installed a data tracker but we do have four devices connected and eight when the family are staying.

Have you seen a nine-year-old playing Minecraft?

So, if we do go for satellite, are people generally satisfied? We use Skype a lot with our son and family in Spain, does that work well or is there a delay because of the ping? Does VOIP work reliably?

We would probably go with a 25 or 30 gig a month package which isn't hugely more than our current package plus ligne fixe.

Our place is out in the sticks as well, well beyond the limits for broadband via Orange and the phone line. Our two neighbours have broadband, one via Wimax and the other via satellite. The one with satellite is not a happy bunny, he complains about the delay in sending and receiving data up and down to the satellite etc. The wimax guy is fairly happy with his setup, he says the only problem it may drop out if its foggy or heavy rain, plus he says the download data is unlimited, ( what ever they define as unlimited) But I suppose in the end you have to go with what you can receive.

Archived