Complete France Forum

Christmas Charity for Homeless Pets

Following Gay's suggestion on the other thread, here is a thought for the homeless pets at this time of year.  Of course the most important for them would be to have a loving warm home for Christmas, but some warmth could be taken to them in their refuge in the way of bedding, chewies, toys. etc.  I had thought of for example filling up a plastic bed with goodies for them and taking it to your nearest animal shelter.  I have also heard that old blankets can be had quite cheaply at the Emmaus dépôts, so these can also be collected and taken to them.

If you have any other ideas, please post them on this thread.  Many thanks.            

I have tried to find a link with all the refuges in France, but there are some missing, so if you do not find a shelter in your area, please let me know and I shall try to find the nearest.  Most refuges have both dogs and cats.  But I have also included the Ecoles du Chat.  Merci pour eux.

Refuges

Ecole du Chat

Dog coats could also be useful, especially for the older ones, if you have any you no longer need.

I make them for some of ours out of floor cloths (serpillières), like that it doesn't matter if another dog chews it up (and is just about right for my sewing skills)!

I fold back to the length of the dog, fold in half lengthways and sew together two corners leaving room for the head to go through, then sew on a band like a girth to go under the chest/stomach.  They look like racehorses running about with the stripes on the cloths.

Re Dog Coats - I read something in the craft section of Martha Stewart that may be useful : If you have an old jumper you no longer want you can wash and dry it on hot to 'felt' it, (you may have to do it more than once - its 'felted' when the fabric will not run when it is cut) you can then use the fabric for craft projects - in this case dog coats........[:)]

Archived