Complete France Forum

barn owls

I am hoping that Chris picks up on this?  Earlier today I met an English person who has a barn owl in his roof space.  He has to spray the roof space against woodworm that sort of thing but does not and quite naturally want to hurt the owl.  He has a barn plus other outbuildings and wonders how he can (a) spray the roof void without damaging the owl and (b) encourage the owl to nest in the barn?

kind regards

Hi Chris from my understanding there are lots of entry points for the owl or should it be owls.  At this precise moment in time I do not think they will convert the roof space in that it depends upon and apart from other considerations as to the sale of UK property and which has so I am told gone off the boil.

Barn owls need an access hole of around 20cm x 20cm, so really anything smaller than that can be ignored in the first instance, this dimension would normally require a ledge for them to land on as it is to small to fly through.

Given that in this case it is in the owls best interest to move, I would suggest that first all the holes except one large one are blocked of, anything will do, chicken wire or a piece of wood jammed in place, bearing in mind that at all times they must be sure that the owl has not been trapped inside. Then one night when they are sure that the owl is out and about block up the remaining hole, again making sure that it or another owl isn't trapped inside, although it is unlikely that there is more than one.

Now would be the best time to do this, but don't delay too far into December, they will be pairing now or very soon and it really needs a bit of time to find a new roost, hopefully in one of the barns.As a matter of interest, only about a third of female barn owls actually nest and produce young in any given year.

I will be happy to speak to them on the phone if they wish.

Chris

We had little owls nesting in our roof space when we bought the house (hence the name of it now!) and as Chris said we found that they moved out once we started storing stuff up there, and then blocked up their access point - which was a couple of years after we moved in. Before they left they reared young each year and one found his way into the kitchen one day - my husband found a small fluffy bundle sitting on the old stone sink just looking at him! We think the only way he could have got in was by flying through the front door. 

They are still in the garden nesting in a tree and still use the end eaves of the house to watch us watch them, I just love them!

Archived