Complete France Forum

He looks so sad, Brasco English Setter Gironde

Hi everyone,

Well, we managed to drive through the snow at the weekend.......fortunately we have a 4 x 4 otherwise we might well have ended up in the ditch like so many others we passed!!!!

We collected Brasco (having almost dug ourselves to the Refuge!!) and drove all the way back up the autoroute to Normandy taking the obligatory stops! That first night this wonderful elderly English setter  slept in the kitchen in his lovely comfy new basket but by the second night he had decided we were his 'new best friends' so wanted to sleep with us!!!! Dog basket duly transported to our bedroom!!!

The Refuge at Tabanac is fantastic. The young people we met there were so kind and helpful. And the dogs.....well, we wanted to take more home with us. We might well return to take another dog. Some of the dogs had been there for up to SIX YEARS!!! Please, if anyone has a space in their hearts, then do pop to the refuge and see what's there.

A charming English couple gave us a warm welcome (and half price chambre!!) at their chambre d'hote in the centre of Bordeaux as their contribution to us going to the dog rescue. Highly recommended!!

Sorry I don't know how to insert a photo of a happy Brasco but I'm sure Christine of Animal Aid will help!!!

Terrific experience which I want to repeat. Do  try it yourselves!!

Geraldine (Amanda61)

Congratulation Amanda - so glad he has a new home and hope he gives you the huge amount of pleasure that we are getting from Trevor the dalmatian Christine put us in touch with.  He is very beautiful and I'm sure he'll repay your love 1000 times.

Maggi

• 1 month later...

Now we are all sad.  Amanda has lost her beloved Brasco.

Apparently shortly after they had him they took him to the vet who found he had a bad heart and fluid on the lungs.  So he was under the necessary treatment.  Also the refuge said he was not nine, but fourteen, which maybe explains this.  But Amanda didn't care about that, she just wanted to make Brasco happy and they came over every weekend to be with him.  Everyone who met him loved him and Amanda says he had a really fabulous life in the last two months, with them at the weekend and with a marvellous English couple in the week with their two rescue dogs who also adored Brasco.

Amanda and her husband have rescued Speckles, another English Setter from Ireland, for company for Brasco.  Speckles arrived three days before Brasco died last week, just after having enjoyed another weekend with Amanda and her husband when she says he was fine.  The two dogs never met as Speckles' papers weren't yet ready for him to travel to France.

Isn't it terribly sad, but in another way so wonderful that lovely Brasco was able to spend what were certainly the best two months of his life being loved and cared for by everyone.

Amanda is a really wonderful person.   [kiss]

Archived