Complete France Forum

Dog And Puppy Found - What should I do

Hi

Not sure if anyone can help but this morning I found a puppy and an adult dog, the adult has a collar with a number (perhaps an identity number)  the puppy is unmarked.  Who should I contact to trace the owners, I've tried the neighbours but no one knows them or has seen them before.  I don't want to call the gendarmes if they are likely to be put down if no one comes forward so what should I do.  For now I have fed them (they were both starving) and tied up the adult to stop him eating the chickens, the cat etc.  my other dog seems not to interested which is good.

Panda

What is the number on the collar Panda ?  What breed are they, male, female ?  Have you looked in their ears and under their hind legs to see if they have a tattoo ?

You can let your Mairie know and the Gendarmes, leaving your telephone number in case anyone is looking for them.  You can take them to the vet to see if they are microchipped.

Any chance of a photo ?

Hello

I was hoping you would respond Christine, I was just about to check the tattoo and take a picture when, having called the local huntsmen, who had in the meantime found the owner, the owner then turned up and the dogs were so happy to see them.  I was so surprised as I thought they must have been abandoned, they were clearly working dogs but I was so pleased that the owners seemd to love them an vice versa, not the usual shut up in a yard hunting dogs.  Apparently the adult has done it before but this time it took the new puppy with it, the pup had walked about 4 miles, poor little thing no wonder it was starving and soo tired.  The owner had only had the pup for 3 days!

So all's well that ends well as they say, it has got us thinking about getting another dog though! 

Thanks for the response,

Panda

Archived