Complete France Forum

Deaf hyperactive 18 month old border collie

I'm new to this forum, but just thought I would ask advice.  We have a deaf hyperactive border collie who is 18 months old.  She basically lives 'in her own World'.   She has some sort of OCD which means she runs circuits round our property and 24/7 if she had her own way.  The vet said when he diognosed her as being deaf (1st vaccinations) that she was aggressive - which we didnt agree with.  It now turns out that she is showing signs of aggression to us.  She has beared her teeth to me, and snapped at peoples ankles and hands for no apparent reason.  With children in the family I am worried, and inspite of having dogs around me for 40 years, I am scared of her and I dont trust her.  She has an extra keen sense of smell and is a fantastic retriever.  She gets on well with other dogs, and doesnt chase our chickens.  Could it be that she could work for customs as a sniffer dog - or the police ??  Has anyone got any suggestion before we consider the worst situation please ?

Yes we have, we contacted a huge amount of people when we first found out she was deaf 18 months ago.  We purchased a book by a guy called Barry Eaton which was helpful in explaining a lot about deaf puppies.  We've taught her sign language, and really the problem isnt her deafness.   Its the behaviour which worries us so much.

Archived