Complete France Forum

SOS for 35 dogs refuge Angoulême, Charente

Thirty-five.  That's the number of dogs urgently needing help at the Angoulême, Charente refuge.  New, modern kennels have to be built and they don't have enough money to build them all.  So these poor dogs have to go.  Some have been there for years, some are old and don't ask for much, just to know a little love and affection at the end of their miserable life, rather than be put down.

They are all here :

No1 / xbraque fauve, 14 ans, craintif

No2/Type chasse, trés sympa, calme, femelle ok, males ?, 7 ans

No3/ xsetter tricolor, s'entend avce tout le monde, 17 ans

No4/ xpointer, aveugle d'un oeil, trés gentil, ok tout, 10 ans

No5/ berger/griffon assez grand, dominant, jardin imparatif, 5 ans

No6/ xAiredael, a mordu, dominant, besoin d'espace, 4 ans

No7/ xberger, super gentil, ok tout, assez grand, besoin de se dépenser 5 ans

No8 / x berger, craintif, triste et résigné, 13 ans

No9/ Xlabrit, trés craintif, a besoin de sortir au plus vite et de retrouver la confiance!! 6 ans

No10/ x labrador/griffon, nerveux, veut sortir, dominant? 4 ans

No11/ labrador, dépérit en boxe, ne le supporte plus, dent limées a force, 4 ans

No12/ xlabrador, trés sympa, trés calme, pas aboyeur, 7 ans

No13/ xkortal, un amour de chien, soumis, trés beau une fois bien remplumé, n'hésitez pas!! 7 ans

No 14/ xlabrador, trés calme, pas dominant, super gentil, 11 ans

no15 / bull terrier, pas d'autres animaux, super avec les humains, 7 ans

No 16/xlabrador, superbe chien, ne supporte pas le boxe, il lui faut de l'espace, joueur, 3 ans

No 17/ xcaniche, trés craintif, a besoin d'avoir a nouveau confiance, 8 ans

No 18/ xhusky, yeux vairons, craintif, dominant, 7 ans

No19 / xanglo ne sort jamais de sa niche!!, peur, craintif, aurai besoin de tellement d'amour!!! 11 ans

No20 / setter anglais, super gentil, ok tout, sauf vollaile, 7 ans

No 21/ fox terrier, dominant, pas d'autres animaux ?, 5 ans

No 22/ xcolley extremement craintif!! a du etre mal traité, pas méchant, 8 ans

No 23/ setter, super gentil, ok tout sauf vollaile, trés calme, 5 ans

No 24/ xbruno du jura, trés cool, tranquille, pas aboyeur, beaucoup de tristesse, 15 ans

No 25/ berger, trés sympa, a tester, 6 ans

No 26/ beagle, timide, voudrai la tranquilité, 13 ans

No 27/ berger/bobtail, gros nounours, pliens de vie, super calins, 11 ans

No 28/x kortal, ne sort pas de sa niche!!! là depuis des années!!

No 29/ labrador, mon coup de coeur, trés maigre, se laisse mourir, triste et résigné, c'est trés urgent pour lui!!!! 12 ans

No 30/ xkortal, superbe chien, sympa, voudrai de l'espace, 3 ans

No 31/ xépagneul, a mordu, a tester, 11 ans

No 32/ xgroendael, besoin d'espace, trés sympa, et là depuis 8 ans!!
10 ans

No 33/ un croisé, trés gentil, soumis, petite taille, 2 ans

No 34/ xleonberg, super gentil, a tester, trés maigre, 6 ans

No 35/ la seule femelle, sharpei, la pauvre n'a fait que de la reproduction!!
super gentille!! age?

If you would like to rescue one of these dogs, but don't know how to go about it, I shall be more than pleased to help.  Also if you would like to give a home to one of the other many dogs of the refuge, it would of course make room for these.

Refuge l'Angoumois
Les Mesniers
16600 Mornac

tél: 05 45 65 76 99

Some more photos coming up.  Number 9, six year old male Labrit or Berger des Pyrénées cross.  Rather shy, but what a lovely face, such sadness in the eyes.  Often once they are out of these places they are completely different when finding real life again.  Someone who took some out for a walk said their empty vacant look completely changed.

Here he is again

Number 22, eight year old very friendly, but also shy Collie cross

Number 13, seven year old griffon cross, very affectionate and gentle

Number 2, very sweet and gentle seven year old

Do you mean Susie on this forum who is in the Lot, or you have someone else?  I think the only female out of the thirty-five is the Shar Pei, all the others are males.

So far, it looks as if six are bieng rescued.  Refuge Fontorbe are taking a couple, so is another refuge, someone in the south is having one and we are going to try to take the thirteen year old Beagle.  What would be even better is for them to have a real home.  To me they are all adoptable, they should all have a chance, but some are really adoptable such as this

six year old Leonberg cross, number 34, who they say is very friendly, a really nice dog, he would be a beauty once back in condition

then there is this little chap, number 33, only two years old and very sweet

there are also the two lovely Setters, numbers 20 and 23

The kennels these dogs are in are going to be demolished.  But don't forget there are many others waiting for a home in this refuge.  If some of them are adopted it would make room for these.

Refuge l'Angoumois
Les Mesniers
16600 Mornac

tél: 05 45 65 76 99

This is just so heartbreaking. It is hard to imagine all of these lovely dogs being in this tragic situation. I wish I was in a position to take some. Perhaps if they had the funds something so drastic wouldn't be necessary. I know that refuges across France are in dire need but this case appears to be extremely urgent if they need to re-home or put down so many dogs so quickly.[:'(]

It seems they have been ordered to demolish the old kennels WJT and don't yet have the funds to replace them.  I think they have already built other new kennels, but these are the last ones.  They have been trying to delay as long as possible, but the time has finally come.  I don't know all the details, but that's my impression.

Now here come the two Setters, absolutely lovely with everyone, peaches and cream.  If noone wants to offer them a home, I just don't get it !

Here is the Griffon cross, number 28.  He has been at the refuge since he was a year old, he's now eleven !  They had to give him confidence and coax him to walk.

Here's a sweety, number 31, very affectionate little dog, lived in a flat but was taken from his owners who did not care for him

They all need a hand.

OMG Christine that isn't long is it?!

I wish I could help however now I have got Lewis and his problems at the moment I am unable to do so, am sooooo sorry[:(]  Personally I would have loved the Leonberger cross always have loved them,lol

Please please can anyone help these poor dogs?!

They got the Leoberger out yesterday and he was fine with people and other dogs.

WJT, I think number 28 is the one that is going to the south.   [:)]

The other refuge who said they would have a couple, a woman who like me loves the oldies, has been today and taken three elderly dogs from the new kennels, not the ones on the above list, but it has made room for them.

That is very good news Christine, thank you for updating us. I can't help but feel sad though for poor number 28. I hope the long trip South will not be too difficult for him considering he rarely comes out of his little niche. [:(] I hope he can find a loving home soon.

The little girl above was adopted by someone in the Charente on Saturday, so was number 17 the little Poodle cross.

The first Setter is being adopted in the south and left on the train for Pau yesterday, should be arriving with his impatient new mistress tomorrow.  [:)]  They say he is marvellous and obedient, a gem, good as gold in the train (here he is on the first stop of is journey).  The second Setter is going to a foster family.

The Leonberger is also going into foster care.  The girls are driving a van up with several dogs next Sunday where along the route the new families will be able collect them.

Still about fifteen dogs urgently in need of a home, like this lovely boy only three years old, number 16, very friendly, fine with children.

Christine

Nos 17 and 20 (sure they'll have nice names by now) look so settled and content already in their new homes. Such a mammoth task but so satisfying to hear that little by little you and those involved are managing to find homes for these so deserving dogs.

Best wishes and bon courage

Anna

Thank you Anna, they are now Louba and Django !

Only a few more days to go until the evening of 3rd March.  This lovely two year old lad still has noone for him, number 33

He has been tested with children, cats and other dogs.  They say he is wonderful and gentle with everyone.   He's only two years old, would make a great family dog.

Hi Christine,

I'm Lisa the lady who had Hobo.  How is it going finding places for these poor dogs.  I have been watching your post since it was placed with interest but because l had Hobo l could not contact you but Hobo who is now homed and very happy and so are his new owners which leaves me free to foster again.

I love the look of either N° 30 he just looks lovely and l have a big house and big Garden waiting.

I also love the look of N° 33 he two looks so sweet and l am certain l could rehome one of these chaps.

Bit about me

We are a big family 3 kids 2 dogs 1 cat a budgie and Gary the Hamster.  We have a acre of land large lake and lovely woods just at the end of our garden in a very rural setting.

I have alot of time and patience to give.  I'm not a pro with dogs but l have had a lot of experience.

I would like to foster one of these lads have him with us for abit to see what they are like and when l think they are ready find them a home that suits them.

Contact me if you need me

Lisa

Thank you so much for your message Lisa, that's very, very kind.   I was just coming to give the good news, none of the dogs will be put down !   [:)] 

But you can still help, that would be wonderful as there are about two hundred and ten dogs there and others waiting.  I saw them all yesterday.  Will explain after, but first the solidarity all over France from the French rescuers has been absolutely incredible, they are all really marvellous.

Remember this sad little chap above, number 11, now called Orus. He arrived after a covoiturage yesterday with three others going to different destinations.  He is now at Reims in his new family !

Just for the pleasure, another one of Django.  His family are completely in love with their lovely dog

and here's our participation Bambou, number 26

He has spent eight years in his kennel there.  I would have taken more if we hadn't already so many.

Today sixteen dogs are being driven by the girls in two vans to their different destinations.  They are going as far a Troyes, 600 kms, with stops on the way where other "covoitureurs" take them over.  Then they are driving back down tonight and working tomorrow !

Their plea and organisation to save these dogs has been an immense success.  They didn't know each other or go to the refuge until they recently saw an article in the newspaper and decided to do something to help.  While I was there yesterday there was a young couple with a little dog who are going to adopt the very shy Collie cross.  They are even going to take a week's holiday to be with him when he arrives.

So now the ball has started to roll, help is needed to continue to give homes to the other dogs who have been there for years.  There are all sorts, all lovable, long-haired, short-haired, all different ages reaching to you through the bars.  There is a very beautiful black and white Braque d'Auvergne who looks young.  There is the softest, cuddliest elderly yellow Labrador who really needs someone, a lovely little nine year old fluffy female a bit Spitz like but smaller, beige and white, adorable, because her owner died.  There are just so many.

So Lisa, your kind offer would be more than welcome to help get another out.  If you'd like to pm me your phone number, I'll give you a call tomorrow.  Many thanks again.

Christine,

I am soooooo pleased to hear that none of the dogs are going to be PTS and that so many have got new homes.  I wish I was in a position to help however as I now have Lewis and have only had him for a couple of weeks and don't know how he is with other dogs etc it is a bit too early for me to take on another. If however Lewis' owners come forward I will then be in a different position and now I know I can cope with another dog after losing Morse I will definately be in touch. In the meantime I hope that others wil come and give these poor dogs a new life with lots of love and security.

Well done to all for helping these animals.

I'm sure you're going to keep Lewis now Morse, at least I hope so !

This is a wonderful weekend, they're all arriving in their new homes.

Number one, now Muppet, in the Mayenne.  I loved him yesterday, he was so sweet (the way the other one is looking at him! [:P] )

Number 14, Derrick, "la vie en rose"

Tony Parker further above still needs someone.  He's lovely !

Archived