Complete France Forum

Annoying Chaffinch

Does anybody have any ideas please? Since around March we have been plagued by a chaffinch tapping very loudly on our bathroom window.

He's loud enough to wake us up very early in the morning.

When we put a towel over the window, he flies off to tap on a different window. He now has three windows he chooses from.

If we close the shutters he then goes out and does the same thing on the car wing mirror.

He obviously seems to like his reflection somehow.

I have printed out a nice colour picture of a sparrowhawk and put it in the window, but, so far, it hasn't deterred him.

We like birds and encourage them in to our garden, but this has become a real nuisance.

I'm about to print out a picture of a cat to put in the window, but does anybody have any other ideas - or, if you have experienced this kind of behaviour, what did you do?

Regards - Tim

It's the mating season, it sees it's reflection and thinks it is competition from another male. It should stop very soon. However a tempory solution would be to put something non reflective on the outside of the window so that it can't see itself.

We used to get it a lot with crows..... that was noisy.

That crossed our minds as well, but this has been going on since March, so how long is the mating season supposed to go on?

I sneeked a peak the other day ( he always flies off when he sees you looking) and after he had flown off, his place was taken by a baby wren who seemed to think that it was also a good idea to tap the window. He didn't quite make it though.

We have lived here for four years and this is the first time we've had this and as far as the noise goes, well, you wouldn't believe how hard this little blighter can tap. You'd think he would have broken his beak some time ago. It's loud enough to be heard around the whole house.

Regards - Tim

Archived