Complete France Forum

Home for some battery hens

Please can anyone tell me how I go about giving some battery hens a free range home?  We live in Department 12 not far from Rodez.  We already have some lovely hens but have space and fields available for a few more and we thought it would be nice to give some of these poor stressed birds a caring, knowledgeable, freerange home.

• 3 weeks later...
how did you get on alleycat? We had ex batery hens when my daughters were young teenagers- and it was a very moving experience! they arrived practically naked and didn't know how to walk and what to do with all the space. Within hours they were running around finding worms and snails -started laying a couple of days later - and a couple of weeks on came out in horrible spots - which a few days later fluffed out into the softers of feathers. We had so much fun with them. Happy days -

I bought my girls at the local market, still cheeping but really scruffy with big chunks of feathers missing.   I felt so sorry for them I had to have them, took them home and tenderly nursed them into the Gorgeous Girls that they are, however they still have big chunks of feathers missing because I'd actually bought Cou Nou de Forez - Loire baldy chickens!    They look like a hybrid between hens and vultures with bright red bald necks but I love them even though they are weird looking, plus they lay beautiful eggs every day for me.  

Hi

Am still struggling to find some near to me - or how to go about getting some of these poor creatures??  I hear tales of people who have rescued them but not really how you go about it.  We live in a very rural part of the Aveyron and most of the locals would probably think we were nuts if we asked about rescuing battery hens!  By our standards of care some of our neighbours' hens look like they need rescuing to be honest!  But we will persevere as I can't see us ever being without the space to accommodate them and someone will no doubt help me find some.  Thanks for your posts everyone and let me know which tree to bark up next!

• 5 months later...

I have just heard about battery hens, 30,000 of them, to be rescued in the Lot et Garonne.  It seems they are going to try to take some up North via Paris.  It's rather vague, but have a look here and if you don't understand and would like to save some you can contact me.

http://rescue.forumactif.com/recherches-f57/pour-sauvetage-de-poules-batteries-du-lot-et-garonne-en-rp-77-60-02-fin-juillet-t237958.htm#5255363

Archived