Complete France Forum

URGENT- Euthanasia at SPA Carcassonne

The person in question lives near Limoges- and I cannot see why mentioning the price she paid is far-fetched. As said before, I am certainly not looking for an argument, certainly not looking at 'winning' said argument, and definitely not criticising. I was truly shocked to find out, thanks to the OP's post, that many SPAs do not have a sterilising policy. It still does not make sense to me to release animals un-neutered, and persist with this vicious circle, and I am glad all 3 of my local refuges understand this and have a clear policy. I am sad that my quest for solutions is labelled as 'far fetched'. I do not care though what people think of me, but I do care for the animals. A sincere and frank discussion, and a search for cutting cost, seeking cooperation with local vets and vet schools, and having a campaign to explain the reasons for neutering and the reduced cost to new owners if done before release, are all essential IMOHO.  Yes, I do persist, because it is so worth persisting for the animals' sake - that I care passionately about, as you do too.

I am really pleased to see that your Charity does neuter dogs before placing. You and your team must therefore believe that it is important, just as I do.

Hi All

I had my little beagle, recently rescued from the SPA at Carcassonne (where I also volunteer) spayed immediately upon adoption. It cost €180. This additional cost would put off most of the adoptees. I wish Carcassonne would negotiate a special rate with a local vet, and this is something Florence and I are going to try and work on. I agree it is an essential step.

One big problems is that when we have a rare breed in the SPA we worry that a potential adopter is going to use the animal as a puppy machine. The animal is probably better off with us, to be honest!

The volunteers at Carcassonne are really trying to change things there, but it is hard. I am sure this is true of all the SPAs, but I only know what I know!

Thank you for your reply, and thank you also for seeing my mail as a genuine desire to understand the issues and to find solutions for the future. Merci. The friend who had her dog 'done' has given me more details. Her vet mainly deals with big animals, and is of the 'old fashioned' kind - old surgery, few machines - but extremely knowledgeable and experienced, and the cost was indeed E48 + E10 approx for post op drugs. She had a cat to be spayed recently, but couldn't get an early appointment, so had to pay E132 at a town surgery (with all mod cons). She is in the Limoges area.

So RH you are right, great variations in style and price around. I am sure however, as Rowan says, that special deal could be struck for sessions with a vet, and perhaps with a vet school, to bring cost down - maybe the Pontarlier SPA has found a good solution which allows them to sterilise all animals and ask for E155. If people can't pay that small difference - then what sort of adoptors will they be? I am not interested in an argument, or being proven right or wrong - all I hope for is that animals are given a chance of a proper future which will not produce 100000s more unwanted animals.

Have done lots and lots of French Googling past few days- and it seems that there is a reluctance in France to castrate/sterilise, especially for males. (btw the French still have great difficulty accepting sterilisation in humans too) - so it is essential to educate the public.

Again Rowan, thank you for your generosity, and my very very best wishes to you and all the volunteers in all the SPAs, wherever they are. xx Swissie

Swissie

Sometimes people arrive at the SPA and if it were my choice I would not let them adopt at all. Some people want dogs for the wrong reasons, in my opinion, either to make themselves look tough, or because the dog is in fashion (!). I know a life behind bars is not great, but at least I know the dogs are safe at the SPA. There are certainly worse places to be....

Anyway, once again, if anyone is thinking of getting a new dog, please consider a rescue dog! There is a beautiful brown border collie at the Carcassonne SPA right now. Young (about a year, I think) and really affectionate. Clearly an abandoned family pet. Brits love collies, so come on guys!

Archived