Complete France Forum

pet travel in France

Guest CFrost

Guest CFrost

Help!! I am a newbie to this forum and I have searched the pet forum for info relating to travel for pets.  We are moving permanently to France and we have got the passport for the dog, but our question is do they need to be harnessed in the car whilst travelling or in a cage? Can't seem to get answer from defra, so if anyone knows, it would be much appreciated. many thanks

I don't know from a legal perspective.

When I moved over to France (ferry travel, etc.) I had a dog "screen"/bars in my Land Rover (to keep the dog in the back) but no cage and no harness.

Land Rover gone now and in Peugeot 206 I was going to get bars to keep the dog(s) in the back but they seem to stay there by themselves so I did not bother. I just have the back seat down so they have a reasonable area. I don't age or harness. Nobody has commented. I see quite a few French dogs with free access around their owners cars (e.g. sitting on the back shelf, etc.) so if there is a law, quite a few people ignore it.

[quote]Help!! I am a newbie to this forum and I have searched the pet forum for info relating to travel for pets. We are moving permanently to France and we have got the passport for the dog, but our questi...[/quote]

Hello Jetlag.

If you are talking about your journey over to France then there is no need to cage or harness as far as I am aware.  We came over via Eurotunnel with our three dogs, 1 Rottweiler and 2 Lhas Apsos, to Charente Maritime, without either cage or harness and had no problems.  Neither do we whilst travelling locally.  I think people do it because they have the safety of their pets in mind rather than the law.  Depends whether you have a 'difficult' dog travelling wise.

Sue

[quote]We always use the pull up baggage net when we have our dogs with us. I hate to think of the head damage caused by a 35kg dog hurtling through the car in an accident!!!!!![/quote]

I agree with you entirely if the dogs are travelling in an estate or suchlike but our car is a Mitsubishi 3.2 DiD.  If you are familiar with these 4x4's you will know that the passenger seats are so high backed that there is no way our dogs could be catapulted through to the front.

Sue

[quote]Sorry Boghound. Should have remembered that our car is not "standard issue". We bought it from Germany and it's one and only owner was a doctor. No doubt he initiated the safety modifications. Sue...[/quote]

The seats will still not stop a dog/animal/child/granny, from being propelled from the rear through to the front without a dog guard/restraint in a frontal collision. It's the law of physics.

Archived