Complete France Forum

Fosse inspection

[quote user="PaulT"]Will be having the inspection very soon. What do they want to see - do they want it exposed or what?[/quote]

Yes, as they have to "dip" the tank, I uncovered the tank entrance and the grease trap cover, they also will want to see if the waste pipes from sinks and showers etc. connect properly to the system ( by running taps etc.), also they inspected our soak aways for the guttering. If you have any plans or photos of the installation they are handy. Their report will come to you, and if the system doesn't conform they will inform the town hall and tell you how long you have to remedy any faults. Remember any fines for non conformity are decided by your Mayor and council.

Ours (6 mths ago) wasn't as rigorous as NickP's. All I could do in advance was to clear out the grey water tank (really nice job) and have a cursory look down the fosse (OK).  

The inspector's interest was in the size of the 'grey tank', the fosse itself (odour, or lack of as in our case), whether it needed emptying, and the 'geography of everything.

We failed on everything except the odour!!!!

Everybody on our little 'estate' failed, most for much more serious problems than ours. Its a very nice earner for the companies that have set themselves up (and commissioned by the Communes) to support the Govt initiative of a few years ago. Certainly needed for the 10% of situations where you've got something highly dodgy.  For the rest of us, its just another expense.

Hope you pass, but I'll bet you don't.   

We had ours done last August, and had a similar experience to Nick P.  Ours was new in 2005, and we live well out in

the sticks on the edge of a village. Spanc-man wanted to check size and spec

etc, all the regards were lifted for viewing – I don’t recall him wanting to see

water flowing in or similar – and he asked questions about occupancy. Our

pendage is well buried under a lawn now, but the regards showed this was

working. He offered advice on pump-out intervals, the bac a grasse being

cleaned, and took photos. There was no enquiry-other than looking at a hand

drawn plan- about gutter run off and collection under the lawn.

All done in 30 mins and report duly sent. Passed. 40 Euros

all in and pretty painless really.  

Hope yours is similar.

Mine was done this year. Newly installed in 1989, and I had the house plans showing it, plus a couple of photos that I took during installation that showed filter pipes etc. We had to uncover the lid of the tank beforehand.

The Spanc inspector was delighted with the plans, declared the tank to be working perfectly, made me run a tap for each basin, sink etc, and flush both loos, while she observed the tank.

I showed her the vent pipe, across the garden. Told her the outflow went into the ditch outside, but could not show her EXACTLY where.

She passed it, with a note that she hadn't seen the outflow pipe, and a recommendation to install an air-in vent pipe that would stick up above the roof. After she had gone, I realised that i do have an air-in pipe at ground level, which I had forgotten about so did not show her, so am hoping that will do.

Strangely, she did not show any interest in the guttering downpipes.

Both she and the vidangeur (I got it emptied, while it was uncovered) commented on what particularly good condition my tank was in. Good to hear! ?

Angela

PS. I don't know anything about a "grey water tank", and she never asked about one.

PPS mine is a fosse toutes eaux, takes everything except rainwater.

Many thanks for the replies.

In investigating the fosse - had removed a concrete cover before and all I could see was some blue plastic with gravel on top - removed the cover again and the blue plastic seems to have moved and looks very much that the fosse is broken at the top.

So this looks like I will be needing a complete new system [:(]

Ours was done a few years ago. No running water test but did want to have all covers lifted and wanted to know the size of the two gravel beds used for a soakaway at our fosse toutes eaux outlet. It seemed to me from what he said that he would not have been happy if the fosse discharged into the ditch alongside the road which passes our house. He also wanted to know the size of the fosse tank. Ours had a label on it giving a figure of 3000 litres which he seemed happy with. He also wanted to see the bill for the last time it was emptied and remined us that we must have it done every four years. I imagine there are different rules for a fosse septique...................JR

Archived