Complete France Forum

Got our Great Dane today!!!!!

Miggimeggi

Hi Christine and anyone else who is interested,

We collected our  Dogue Rescue Great Dane chiennne, Utopie, today from her foster home near to Limoges.  She is so lovely and gentle and, although the Dogue Rescue website said that she was not instantly affectionate to strangers, she is lying on a pile of duvets at my feet as I write, her head on my lap and giving me the occasional nudge to remind me to keep stroking.  The Dogue Rescue people believe that she has never lived in a house before, however she is making a valiant attempt to tolerate lying on the pile of duvets near the fire, not because she wants to of course, but just for my sake, and out of the extreme courtesy usual in these grand dogs.   We were a bit worried that our boy Dane would be unwilling to accept another dog, even a girl, so we took him along with us and no problems - he was instantly besotted and on the road home she took complete advantage of it and immediately hogged most of the space and all the bedding in the back of the station-wagon.  Whilst we there we saw three more of the Danes who are awaiting homes and how I hated the fact that I could do nothing for them as well, and had to drive away and leave them.  They are really well cared for at the foster home but it is not the same as having a permanent loving home and every one of these wonderful dogs deserve a warm place to live and a caring, loving  family to keep them  always safe.  They deserve somewhere to belong.........

The Great Dane Rescue(Dogue Rescue)people do such great work for these abandoned  and/or maltreated dogs and when they had decided that they would let us adopt one of their dogs, they did so much to help right down to meeting us at a A20 services area and guiding us to the isolated foster home about 30km away  and then guiding us back to the same place afterwards.

Christine I know you have put this link on another thread but I will repeat it here if you don't mind, just in case there is anyone out there who could also give a home to a Dane. http://perso.wanadoo.fr/votredogueallemand/index.htm

Regards to everyone

Anne

Anne, it's funny I had been thinking about it today and wondering if you had got her.  I just had a look in before I go to bed and was so pleased to see your post.  You must be thrilled.  It's late, but please let us know tomorrow how it's going.  Sweet dreams...

A big Welcome to Utopie !

Hi Gay & Christine,

Thanks both for the good wishes and Christine for the great pic - I love it. 

This little girl is so adorable and very bright.  She is learning English more quickly than I am learning French and already downs and sits in English( when she feels like it),  she is also showing signs of being at least boss canine and is trying to be boss life form around our place.  So far it is a draw between her & me.  I have tried to explain that there can only be one AlphaBitch and that is me.  She just looks at me blankly  and  gives me the, 'je ne comprend pas', treatment. 

Anne

Christine, have sent you a PM

Archived