Complete France Forum

Help! surrounded by loose dogs

Georgina

Our dog is in season, and well, it is impossible to take her for a walk. In fact she has been in the garden tied up just 5 minutes (out of sight) and a loose (excuse the pun) black dog came into the garden.  I turned my back for 5 minutes and well, it was there. I just don't know what to do.    Any suggestions beside a shotgun.  And what about a morning after pill just in case??? (not me the dog). Somebody should invent a chastity belt for dogs, they would earn a fortune.[:D][:)]  I must say I did not expect all these dogs being loose in France as obviously we don't have that in England anymore.

Georgina

I think in some areas of UK it is just as difficult with “lose dogs”. They may not all be deliberately loose as males can be quite wilful when it comes to getting to a bitch on heat. I think one difference between UK and France may be that there are more un-neutered male dogs around (as castration is not as “normal” in France as in the UK - at least that is what my French vet told me – a “macho” thing he said). Anyway, “complete” dogs will be that much more determined to get to a bitch and with more un-neutered dogs determined to escape, more likely you will have more visitors.

If you are unsure as to the possibility of pups coming along might be worth a visit to your vet.

Also, if you do not want pups in the future maybe have her spayed. It is far better for her health (in fact before the first season is often thought the best time though some vets prefer to wait until after the first season). My female was spayed before her first season and life is much easier not having to worry about her being in season.

Ian

I think you can buy chastity belts for dogs, maybe not in France. Secondly, how long were the dogs together, if they had coupled and "locked" they would normally remain so for up to half an hour, if it was only turning you back for 5 or 10 minutes I can't see that there is anything to worry about.

Chris

As an owner of an entire female dog (this forum software does not let you say b*t*h for some odd reason) and also living in France I can sympathise to some extent and have exactly the same problem.  The simple answer (and you may not like this) is to NEVER let your dog out of your sight.  Keep her on the lead at all times when she's outside even in the garden, take a big stick with you if you go out, or a water pistol.  It's not impossible to take her out for a walk but keep her on the lead at all times, preferably take her somewhere where there are no other dogs (and go in the car to avoid leaving a scent trail).  The "morning after" shot is available but is not without its own problems.  If you can't handle it when she's in season (and I don't mean that disrespectfully - I know it can be a MASSIVE nightmare sometimes) then get her spayed after she's had her season.   In the long run it's be better for her and for your nerves too.

Knickers. Not being rude just for the dog.

I got our dog some which you can put a pad in while in heat and then you can use them  when she is out and about on a walk.Need to take them off to pee though.It is a maurading admirer deterent unless my sweet little Chloe pulls them off - but surely not, she's an innocent.

She's getting spayed asap

Fi

My French neighbour said I should use pull on nappies, tee hee, which I would if I were French but don't want to be known as the mad English woman.  She said she actually does get her dog to wear them and cullottes ...

Yes I am getting her speyed, but there are conflicting stories. I was told to let her have one season (this is the first). So can I get it done now or do I have to wait until we discover if she is pregnant or not??? .  There does not seem to be any clear way of telling if she was got at, so to speak.

Georgina

[quote user="Georgina"]

Yes I am getting her speyed, but there are conflicting stories. I was told to let her have one season (this is the first)….

Georgina

[/quote]

Different vets seem to have different preferences (i.e. “before” or “after” 1st season). I believe that statistics show that the probability of cancers are reduced by having bitches spayed before their first season. However, they may be other considerations relating to development and hormonal balances whilst the pup is still developing. For such matters I would always go with what my vet says. After all, they are the experts and if one does not have confidence in their advice then maybe one should find a vet who does give confidence.

I know my own vet has made trivial errors in treatments but this was more because they did not appreciate factors about the breed and my particular dog (i.e. far too much energy and total inability to rest for more than a few minutes at a time).

Ian

[quote user="Christine Animal"]You can't get her done while she's on heat Georgina.  You will have to wait a bit and keep her in as much as possible in the meantime.[/quote]

Thanks for that, I'm going now......

Georgina

Georgina, here is Emma, one of the dogs brought to us on Boxing Day in skeleton condition.  Due to her state, it was not possible to have her spayed then, after which she was on heat and was got at before I realised and could separate them.  She went to the vet's this morning to be spayed and he took out the lot, including two puppies.  She came back at lunchtime and this photo was taken early this afternoon.

She is up for adoption...

Archived