Complete France Forum

Getting resin off a dog!

SaligoBay

In all seriousness, how DO you get resin off a dog?

I can cut the sticky clumps off his body hair, but his whole face and head is covered in black blobs, because he has no sense and sticks his nose in everywhere.   He looks like a diseased street urchin!    I'm thinking of changing his name to Ploppy (Blackadder fans will understand [;-)] ).

For non-Blackadder fans, Ploppy was the name of Blackadder's jailer - not known for the perection of his countenance.

Is it pine resin you're talking about?  The only thing I know that shifts it is turpentine (a pine derivative) or white spirit aka turpentine substitute.  Not sure how the dog will take to the smell, though!

Phil

Thank you, I will consider this option carefully!   I think if I do it, I'll have to go for the head-in-a-vice option.....

I've seen a product to remove resin from cars, but thought that might be a bit harsh for poor little Ploppy the Stoat. 

I have seen some special stuff to get pine resin off.  I think I saw it in a Brico (e.g. Bricomarche or Leroy Merlin) or might have been a local garden  power tool shop (place that sells strimmers, chain saws, etc.).  However, I didn’t looks closely so am unsure if it was for clothing, equipment or people or dogs.

I have no idea about dog skin and the like.  However, several years ago when painting a house one day I kept a white spirit’y rag in my pocket and did not realise it was in effect keeping my skin moist with white spirit for the day (only one day).  A few days later I had a raw very sensitive patch of skin there – a bit like it had been burnt and it took weeks to recover.  Normally I’m not sensitive to things like that (I still clean painty hands in white spirit no problem).  If it were my dog I would probably avoid white spirit and the like but cannot say what I would use as I don’t have any better suggestions (Sorry, don’t like making negative posts that don’t help).

Ian

I had Utopie speyed last month and the adhesive from her plaster was really bad. I tried white alcohol (no, not gin) which didn't work then got some stuff called Gilbert Anti-adhesif from the Pharmacy. That worked a treat so it may be worth trying on the resin. I mention it because it doesn't seem to be harmful to the dog.

Anne

Don't use white spirit or turpentine.  Our cat accidentally got in on a leg and got bad chemical burns which had to be treated by the vet.  Doesn't seem to affect humans, but not worth taking a chance on the dog - and especially not on it's face.

not quite the same thingbut very gooey.

You know those fly trap things that you pull out of a party popper thingy ....and they uncurl and hang them from a ceiling?  still with me? Our eldest got her long hair caught up in one, we tried all sort of stuff, washed her hair a coupleof times and it was still sticky and all clumped together.

Not to be recommended for everyday use, but eventually I took her in the shower and used petrole (the stuff for the fires , not the car) on a rag and wipped it over her hair, not rubbing into the scalp. I washed her hair for about 20 mins with warm water then shampooed it. took forever to get the smell out and ensure that all the petrole was out(she has realy thick waist length hair and takes a good 10 mins to get it wet for a normal shampoo)

There were these two old men, sat chatting in the pub. In Somerset.

“‘Ere, Ted”, says one. “Wha’ did ‘ee give yer ol’ dog, Bess, when she were sick?”

His mate paused for a moment and took a pull at his pint before answering.

“Turpentine.”

“Turpentine?”

“Aar. Turpentine.”

“Thank ‘ee very much, Ted.”

Next day they were sat in the same place, and one old man said to the other,

“’Ere, Ted. Wha’ d’you say you gave yer ol’ dog Bess, when she were sick?”

“Turpentine.”

“Turpentine?”

“Aaar. Turpentine.”

A day later they were sat in the same place, and one old man said to the other,

“’Ere, Ted. Wha’ DID you say you gave yer ol’ dog Bess, when she were sick?”

“Turpentine.”

“Turpentine?”

“Aaar. Turpentine.”

The following day they were both back in the pub.

“’Ere, Ted. Wha’ d’you say you gave yer ol’ dog Bess, when she were sick?”

“Turpentine.”

“Turpentine?”

“Aaar. Turpentine.”

“When I gave my dog turpentine, he done died!”

“Aaar. So did Ol’ Bess.”

I'll get my coat...

massage hair conditioner in leave it on for as long as possible them wash with warm water, it has worked for me with bubble gum, tar and glue which my dog seems too sit in where ever we go.  hope it works !!

Archived