Complete France Forum

Dogs needing homes

Christine Animal

Different people returning to the UK, two nice dogs need rehoming, both females :

Six month old Black Labrador

Eighteen month old Labrador/Old English Sheepdog cross (apparently looks like a Briard).  She doesn't like other dogs very much, but is fine with cats.

I’m afraid I have a “full house” (dog wise) already.

Is this a case of “never got the blood test done and can’t wait 6 months” (something I have a bit of a thing about) or unsuitable circumstances for new situation in the UK.

Ian

Debra, there are plenty of poodles needing homes.  When you are here perhaps you could contact Phoenix, Sheelagh and Rik Johnson, who are in the Dordogne, isn't that where you are going to be?  The little bichons (like Will) have the same hair as poodles and are also lovely little dogs.     http://www.phoenixasso.com/index.html

Ian, the Labrador was found and taken in by the people who are soon going back to England.  The Labrador/Old English Sheepdog is chipped, vaccinated and apparently nearly passported, but the person is returning to a flat where pets are not allowed.

Good luck Christine!  I'm on the road a lot as is hubby so dogs have always been a no no.  What will happen to the dogs if no-one offers them a home?  Will they go to a dogs home?

I'm giving you an opportunity to tug at some heartstrings!

Hi

I would just like to add a little note to this thread.

We look after dogs in our home and have been doing so for the last three years, over this time we have had many many french rescue dogs to look after for clients. They have all been fantastic.

If anyone is thinking of getting a dog please think of getting a rescue dog first, they are always so pleased to have a loving home they reward you greatly.

Nina

Very often...

1. Older dogs are housetrained.
2. Older dogs are not teething puppies, and won't chew your shoes and furniture while growing up.
3. Older dogs can focus better because they're mellower. Therefore, they learn more quickly than puppies.
4.Older dogs have learned what "no" means. If they haven't learned it, they don't get to be "older" dogs.
5.Older dogs settle in more easily, because they've learned what it takes to get along with others and become part of a pack.
6. Older dogs are good at giving love, once they get into their new, loving home. They are grateful for the second chance they've been given.
7. What You See Is What You Get: Unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and personality. Puppies can grow up to be quite different from what they seemed at first.
8. Older dogs are instant companions -- ready for hiking, car trips, and other things you like to do.
9. Older dogs leave you time for yourself, because they don't make the kinds of demands on your time and attention that puppies and young dogs do.
10. Older dogs let you get a good night's sleep because they're accustomed to human schedules and don't need nighttime feedings, comforting, or bathroom breaks.

Also, if for one reason or other things don't work out, most refuges will take a dog back, we do.

We do not find as many homes as are needed, but I must say that those offered by a number of English families since we have been down here have been absolutely marvellous and we have met some really kind and generous people.  That is very heartwarming.  Keep it up!

Christine!

I couldn't help it, but while I was reading your Older Dog list, I noticed that if you change Dog to Man, all those points still apply[:-))]

My mother-in-law has been taking in rescue dogs for over 30 years and they  have all been lovely, affectionate animals.

If only we were over, in our own house, now as I would be calling for the Lab/Old English Sheepdog - he sounds wonderful.  Our 3 cats are all rescue cats - Solly was being stoned by kids when he was picked up - & yet he still loves kids & meeting new people.

We're renting (all being well) for 6 months - but when we get settled, I'll be in touch.

Well here she is Ali, I have just received her photo (have edited first post with it).  Isn't she a cracker !  She looks very much like some Berger Catalan we rehomed.

Eighteen month old Ripley

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/lavande/Ripley.jpg[/IMG]

She is chipped and vaccinations up to date.  She should receive her pet passport at the end of June.  She has not yet been spayed.  I am told she loves everybody, including children and cats.  But does not get on with other dogs.  She is house trained.  She likes her head and ears played with, relaxes her and makes her yawn !

They may not have one right now at Phoenix and all the dogs may not be on the site, but I know they help with dogs from their local SPA, so let us all know when you are settled here and we can try to find something.

Just to show you that there are these little dogs often looking for homes, here are a couple of examples, even if they have by now been adopted (the second is a cross between the two!) :

http://ouest-adoptions.actifforum.com/ftopic386.Rivage-Bichon-frise-male-de-5-ans-dans-le-35.htm

http://rescue.forumactif.com/ftopic37453.htm&highlight=bichon+caniche

A delivery van came this afternoon with a parcel.  Upon seeing all the dogs, the boy said "do you take dogs?"   [:-))]

I said "Why?"   [:'(]   He said he and his girl friend sadly have to part with their Border Collie as they have had a baby and don't have enough room.

So another one to add to the list :

Two year old male Border Collie, tattooed and vaccinated.  Used to cats and a baby, and to life in town, so traffic etc. as the girl used to live in Niort with him.

Debra, I can thoroughly recommend owning a bichon. We have a 2 1/2 year old male (neutered!) bichon who is absolutely adorable. As a breed the bichon is very placid and affectionate and also excellent with small children. Our dog looks just like "will" ! We tend not to have him cut very often as he is a family pet and not a show dog, usually about 3 times a year. (The bichon is also ideal for people who are allergic to other types of dog.) Best wishes with your move and your hunt for a new pet![:)]

Hi,

My wife plus our 2 boys are returning to Southern Deux Sevres, near Chef Boutonne, at the end of July.  We have a 13 month old GSD b*tch, spayed, who needs a medium to large playmate (preferably a young dog) to race around our acre of grounds.  All our dogs have been from rescue centres apart from a white GSD b*tch who we could not resist.

regards

Vern and Debs Stevens 

Christine, I am looking for a playmate for my boy.  He has a lovely temperament and is very friendly with other dogs however, being a hound I am afraid he will run off which he sometimes does to play with other dogs and thought it would be easier to walk him with a friend.  I do not intend getting him neutered until the age of two because he is big boned and needs full muscle growth to support this.  I was thinking of a staff cross which is not too big but strong enough to rough and tumble with him.  What do you think?  Oh a rehomed dog of about 1 to 2 years by the way.

Hi Debra

In the past I have had rescue dogs and they have all been wonderful (dogless at the moment [:(] but hope that will change in the future !).  I have also had a Tibetan Terrier, Chloe, who was a lovely family dog and a real character. TT's have a woolly coat and if clipped would probably suit someone with an allergy.

Archived