Complete France Forum

Dog wee on lawns

Miggimeggi

Not sure if this is sufficiently France related for this forum, but the dog is French and the lawn is in France.

Does anyone know what to do about a lawn covered in dinner plate sized dead brown patches where our b*tch has wee'ed.    She has really made a mess and despite my pouring used water over the patches in the hope that dilution will help that makes absolutely no difference.  I have heard that it is only b*tches wee that kills lawns but perhaps that is because normally dogs do the business standing up against a tree.  I have also heard that the introduction of tomato juice or ketchup to the dogs' diets helps stop it but have not found any reassurance that short or long term, it does not harm the animals.  I have had many dogs of both genders before and have never noticed this problem but until I came to France I have always had very large gardens and at least some of the dogs seemed to prefer the driveway to the lawns for their toilets.

I can't decide whether this is a gardening problem or a pets problem so I am posting on both forums and hope that some of you experts in both fields can come up with an answer.

Anne

We have experienced the same problem with 2 bitches now, in both cases when they were elderly, so perhaps that's a factor, although both were speyed when young.  Like you, I tried to rush out with a bucket of water to pour on the patch, but unless this is done immediately, it has no effect.  Can you ask your vet if there is some solution (pardon the pun) or if the tomato juice suggestion has any merit?  Failing that, can you train your dog to wee in a specific area away from the lawn?  Sounds hard, but we did it once with good results.  I'm sure we would all love to hear if you get an effective remedy.

Chrissie (81)

Hi Anne, you have queried whether it is just a b itch problem. 

My dog is 10 months now and is still squatting on my lawn [:@]  I don't think there is any difference in the actual urine however, I have the peace of mind in knowing he will soon be a big boy and stand against the fence.[:D]

I have this problem with my bitch and for me its a case of pulling up the dead stuff grass seed it a little bit of compost on top and lots of water. The wee dose actually act when very dilluted as a lawn conditioner, and you will notice when it grows back it will be greener and healthier than the rest of the lawn . Bet that mkes you feel better[:D]  

Hi everyone, thanks for replying,

Chrissie,  my b itch is not elderly,  only 3 years.  We had her from rescue six months ago and although we also have a male, the dead patches on the lawn only appeared when she arrived.  It has been suggested that the b itch urine is highly alkaline and the tomato, being acid neutralizes it a bit and modifies its effect on the lawn.  Sounds good but it has also been suggested that it is possible that it will, over time form crystals somewhere undesirable, so not so good long term.  Training is a thought but she & I discussed that and she was not too keen but I am still working on that.

Katie, when your dog wees on the lawn, do you get really, really dead patches?  Academic really but I would be interested to know if girl dog wee is stronger or more corrosive than boy dog wee.  What breed is this great big boy of yours?

Pads, you are perfectly right of course, and it would be great if it would work but at the moment there are approx. 30 odd patches and as quick as I fix one she unfixes it.  Perhaps it will be better when it is not so hot and she is not drinking as much, of course, the grass will be stopping growing then.  She is a Dane and you can't believe how much wee she pushes out in a day.  I am really tempted to get a truckload of gravel for it.

Anne

It's caused by the high levels of nitrogen in the dog's (or rater bitch's) urine. It's worse with bitches but not so bad if the have been spayed.

There are several products you can get to avoid or reduce this. They all involve adding things to your dog's food/water. For me I don't like the idea of adding chemicals to my pet just because I don't like what her urine does to the lawn. Basically it happens so when you get a bitch, expect it to happen. No need do dose her up because she needs to pee every now and again. e.g. http://www.petcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Hygiene_128.html (no idea if they work or if they are a con).

Personally I think the training idea is best. Both of mine go when I tell them to (though sometimes running is a bit more interesting so it's not 100% but then it does not have to be in my situation).

My neutered male still sometimes squats, sometimes lifts his leg. Although patches are not a problem for me, his behaviour would probably just make things worse as, when she (his live-in girlfriend) has a pee, he tends to go over afterwards and add to what she did !!

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]

It's caused by the high levels of nitrogen in the dog's (or rater bitch's) urine. It's worse with bitches but not so bad if the have been spayed.

There are several products you can get to avoid or reduce this. They all involve adding things to your dog's food/water. For me I don't like the idea of adding chemicals to my pet just because I don't like what her urine does to the lawn.

Ian

[/quote]

Yeah, I can go with that.  A pristine lawn would just make me uncomfortable anyway and I would far rather have well dogs.  If adding chemicals to my animals food is the only alternative then I can live with brown patches.  We just had her spayed about a month ago so perhaps it will improve a bit and I will try Pads suggestions on the outlying bits to try to reduce the area.

Thanks Katie, hope your doggie starts peeing like a proper boy soon.

Anne

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

Yeah thanks but I will be more happy when my husband starts peeing like one.

Grumpy Mrs Mop today.[:@]

[/quote]

I love that comment Katie - perhaps you should send him into the garden too![img]http://bestsmileys.com/cleaning/3.gif[/img]

Archived