Complete France Forum

fleas

Patf

Not a very pleasant subject, but at the moment one of our border collies is constantly scratching. So we had a look and saw these tiny black things sauntering about in her white fur. I had been bitten a lot around the ankles and actually saw a few of them fixed on my skin then jump off. Perhaps we hadn't kept her Frontline treatment up to date. So we've been shampooing and spraying and have treated the 2 cats with pipette things - they won't entertain being sprayed. I spoke to the vet this morning and he said it's a bad time for fleas at the moment. It looks like they have survived the spraying but in fact new ones hatch out every day. Cats have fleas more often than dogs. So we will persevere with Frontline and I'm putting a spray on my ankles.Has anyone else had this problem? Pat.

Use Frontline COMBO, the ordinary stuff just dosn't work anymore we have found on our cats but this stuff is stronger and dosn't smell so they don't run away before you get to them like they did before. I pay about 16,50€ for three pipettes.

I use the ordinary stuff (but vet uses Combo). I've never had problems with fleas, but they are treated every month for the ticks so I guess this is avoiding the fleas getting a change to get any sort of "hold". Certainly, in y experience ordinary stuff works fine against ticks (and presumable fleas as well) - but then they are getting frequent doses.

Ian

Val - the pipettes I bought cost about the same as yours. Christine - when you say spray the environment do you mean floors, rugs soft furnishings etc? Can you use a normal insecticide spray for that? Pat.

Val - the pipettes I bought cost about the same as yours. Christine - when you say treat the environment do you mean floors, rugs soft furnishings etc? Can you use a normal insecticide spray for that? Pat.

Pat; if you have them on you and they are tiny they are certainly in the house and breeding, fast.  There are special sprays and foggers or "diffuseurs" (on the fogger you press the button and leave it in the room and it slowly "diffuses" on its own).  You can ask your vet or pharmacie for an "antipuce habitat", like these for example :

Antipuce Habitat

Be careful to make sure the pets, fish, food and water bowls are taken away first.

Here's something about it :

Flea Control and Prevention

About the pipettes on the cats, I wait till they are busy eating something nice to get the more difficult ones by just squeezing it on them quickly.

Archived