Complete France Forum

orphaned cat

pogo

Sadly,an old neighbour has died,and his poor cat,about 12years old but very healthy,sits on his window sill and miows to be let in. It is an inside and outside cat,and I am putting some food out for it, but was wondering what you all would  suggest,as he was estranged from his relatives,had no visitors,and once the gendames etc left,the cat was left to fend for itself. I am sure it has a healhy mouse diet,and there are plenty of semi wild cats around,but this one obviously needs a bit of a cuddle and fuss.My cat won't get along with it,and although he always said it is friendly,it does always run off .would it be jumping the gun to ask if anyone would come and take it? The poor thing would not be missed by any family.I am in the north of the Creuse.What do you think ?

I think as long as you could put food out for him he could survive quite well not having an actual home. Perhaps you remember my story last summer about the mother and 6 kittens at our holiday property, since autumn only three of the kittens and the mother are around, they live in our "outside" toilet where I have organised a warm bed for them and everytime we appear they are overjoyed to see us and look healthy and happy. I had to"harden" a bit and think like a cat, a cat who loves her freedom, hunting and climbing and I am glad I did not take them to a sanctuary (which I nearly did!). The neighbour goes and feeds them at the moment about 3 x a week, as he does not live there in the winter and our English American neighbours will soon be back for Spring/summer and autumn when the seem to live very happily of their compost heap.  

I know it will survive just fine,but when our cat's twin went missing last year,it wasnot a worry of survival,as it seemed more street wise than the remaining 'catdog' (follows me everywhere,sits on windowsill all the time if put out), but it is the thought that these animals re wondering where the warm fireside and lap have gone on these cold winter nights. Oh well,I'll just keep feeding it and see what happens. Thanks for replies

Yes Pogo, there's a difference between cats born outside on a fam for example and this one who is twelve years old and has been used to living indoors with his master.

A photo would help and I could put an ad on a French site.  Noone in that area on here ready to give a home to a poor twelve year old cat ?

What colour is he and is it a he ?

Yes, I think you are both right, you need to find a place for this cat who is used to a warm place inside and human contact. I think I am becoming too hard having experienced the French way, what with all the hunting and abandoned cats around us. I really have to "steel" myself everytime I hear a gunshot in the forest not to be upset!

Yes, I think you are both right, you need to find a place for this cat who is used to a warm place inside and human contact. I think I am becoming too hard having experienced the French way, what with all the hunting and abandoned cats around us. I really have to "steel" myself everytime I hear a gunshot in the forest that I don't get too upset!

Archived