Complete France Forum

Dog in love with kittens

londoneye

Well, it's not especially French I suppose but I would still quite like to know.

My b i t c h (just one year old) is in love with next door neighbours kittens.   I can only describe her behaviour as 'beside herself' when the kittens are stupid enough to venture into the garden (which strangely they do quite often).   I am convinced she is going to kill them with love any time soon.   Actually I am sure they will be fine, as they have survived nearly two months of my largish dog trampling on them so far.

Apart from trying to clean their bottoms, and licking them to death, she seems compelled to nibble their ears for as long as they will let her.   I was interested to know if this behaviour is what a mother dog would do to her puppies.   My b i t c h has just come out of season, and subsequently just been sterilised (or neutered or whatever the correct terminology is), and I wondered also whether this has made her incredibly maternal, because I am convinced she firmly believes they are her puppies.   She cries when the neighbour comes to rescue them and take them away.  

Not a problem, just curious to know really.

When I was a youngster, my eldest sister used to breed standard poodles; big bloody things but beautiful with it.

One of them, Togo, a chocolate coloured dog (not bitch) used to adore the cat's kittens when she had a litter.

He used to pick one up a walk around with it in his mouth. The only way to get it off him was to offer him another and confuse him so that he let go of the one and we whisked the other away. The kittens would always be completely dry from his mouth.

Happy days.

Our border collie bitch is very interested in our one remaining kitten. She follows it round, and sometimes licks it. The kitten still suckles from its mother so I wonder if  Uddie can smell the milk.  She is "complete" but has never had pups.

Apart from the ear nibbling you could be describing our young labrador dog when our cat had her kittens last year. He loved them and would not leave them alone once they were old enough to join the family. He still makes a great fuss of the remaining one, licking his bottom, pawing him and generally making a nuisance of himself! The cat doesn't seem to mind at all, winding in and out of his legs and purring away! However get them outside and it becomes a game of dog chasing cat!!

Seems to be more a case of kitten chase dog around here, but then again our dog is used to being chased and slapped around a bit by our own cat (of which she is not quite so fond, for obvious reasons, terrified comes to mind actually!).

Nice to hear she seems to be fairly normal - would rather have her in love with cats than killing them, all told!

Archived