Complete France Forum

Disappearing god?

woolybanana

Looking from the study window all that can be seen now is a tiny tip of white tail and the occasional happy, very brown nose. Every day he gets deeper and deeper into the ground though what he is after is not apparent. Will he ever stop digging my little mutt? Not that I mind him disturbing the moonscape too much, but I am worried he might meet something digging the other way like an anteater or hyena. Or even the greater digging kangaroo.

Can I borrow him to rotavate my veg beds. If I keep picking him up and moving him he will get it done in no time, you will get him back by christmas [:)]

I have visions of one of those half dogs people put in there gardens [blink]    

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Well, it does say on his papers that he is a Jack Russell cross.  I thought this must be a mistake or a guess when he was a puppy as he looks nothing like one.  But maybe there is something in it, they are "terriers" !    [:D]

[/quote]

Seriously??  Having seen the pic you posted of Wooly's  dog before it was rescued are you saying they thought it was a Jack Russell??  Actually Phoenix rescue described my new one as beagle cross cocker spaniel but she looks more like a Jack Russell cross poodle every day and her papers just say chasse cross so who knows??  She is not going to be very big and she has long wiry hair on her shoulders and very tight curly hair on her hind quarters, none of this hair comes out, what a bonus!!  She is lovely though, any one care to take a guess at the breed(s):

[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/ahoward99/IMGP0424.jpg[/IMG]

I would like to say two things first Panda.  She could be a mixture of anything which comes out as adorable as she is.  Secondly, I love your beautiful photos and the quality family, loving atmosphere that comes out of them.  It's a real pleasure to see them.

Now,   [:P]  probably a cross, but my bet would go on a Griffon Vendéen

Have a google at photos of them.  You have two sorts, the Basset and the one with normal legs.   [:D]

http://www.kennels.co.uk/Hound/Basset%20Griffon%20Vendeen,%20Petit.html

Wow.  What an utterly gorgeous dog.  The perfect example of what we go looking for when we want a mutt.  You are very lucky to have such a gorgeous dog.  However, I sort of hope it isn't one of the griffon vendeen variety, lovely as they are.  They are hounds and what you might call 'independent'.  Talking though of confusion over cross breeds, I have a funny tale from my french neighbours.  Their grown up daughter has just got a pup.  She told me before he arrived he was going to be a epaneul breton crossed with a fox terrier (can you imagine!!!!)  So I was agog to see this pup.  When he arrived what I saw was a jack russell terrier, so I asked again, 'what cross is he', feigning bad memory about the earlier conversation.  Again, in all earnestness, I was told epaneul breton cross fox terrier.  I went home and had a good giggle and sorted out some pictures of jack russells to show them.  I think they are coming round to the idea now!!!  I also had a comical conversation in relation to my own pup, an english springer spaniel.  I met a lovely old chap in the park with a gorgeous black and white dog which I couldn't resist.  Looking at it I was sure it was a springer cross but sooooo handsome.  Anyway we got talking as I had pup with me and he asked me the breed.  So then I reciprocated and was astonished to be told it was an english springer spaniel.  What went through my head was 'not like any ESS I have ever seen though'.  However I think this elderly chap is now a little confused.  I met him again yesterday and again he asked the breed of my pup.  He seems a little incredulous that my pup is the same breed as his dog (I'm not, it isn't!).  Either it is a cross breed or a french 'version' of a springer.  I have had some fun with this though.!!!!

Thanks for all your kind words.  I tend to agree with Christine on the griffon front having seen a few and yes she is an independent little so and so sometimes.  She is improving all the time though, I walk her off the lead with my other dog now which is a major step forward, she now walks with me 80% of the time, the rest she goes off into the woods and gets home before me.  It's a very quiet area and the woods are mostly on are own land, I just have to careful when other dogs appear as she cannot resist going off with them.  On one walk in a public place I regularly have to double back only to find her either sat next to some random dog she likes the look of or just walking with some family she's adopted, still wouldn't change her for the world now.  Our french neughbour on first seeing her advised me to get her fitted with a tracking device as he can see the hunting dog in her and said one sniff of the deer in the wood and she will be gone.  So far she has resisted going too far (even though the deer occasionally cross our path) and I hope now that she has a loving home and is soo keen on food and comfort she wouldn't risk taking off.

On the springer cross thing, my other dog is a working cocker spaniel which is nothing like a 'frilly' cocker I used to have one of each so can saw the difference first hand.  He looks like a minature springer and people always think he's a puppy, which is great as he's now 12 years old but acts like 12 months. 

Panda

Archived