Complete France Forum

Dead dog

Geordie girl

Not sure where to put this but here goes;

Yesterday we were driving along the old A84 between St. Vigor Des Monts and villedieu and saw a small white jack russell type dog running down the white line in the middle of the road.We stopped to try and rescue it from being killed, but everytime we turned the van round the dog then  changed direction as well.after 20 mins of this driving back & forth we gave up as the dog was getting more & more manic. Today we went out along the same stretch of road to see if we could see it and we did,..........it is now lying dead at the side of the road.I was so upset to think if maybe we had tried a little bit harder to catch it, we could have saved it. I`m gutted and so upset.......;So if you`ve lost a dog yesterday that is where it is.[:(]

Ah, don't beat yourself up Geordie Girl.   We've been in exactly the same situation, only this dog was a spaniel....we don't know what happened to it, because after trying and trying and trying to catch it,  we went back some hours after but we just could'nt see it, it could even have had the same fate and been smashed into a ditch.   We tried and tried for ages to catch it which was our one and only consolation.   There were no nearby houses, or farms we could see on the horizon, we deemed it had been dumped or lost its way.  Such a shame and very upsetting.

How horrible for you, I;ve tried to catch loose dogs here before and have reported them to the gendarmes who show no interest.  You tried to help and chances are he would not have come to you whatever you did.  I had a similar but less traumatic thing this week, I saw a large duck, the type that don't fly (muscovy??) on the road and it too evaded my capture, came back along the same stretch less than two hours later and it was also dead in the road, horrible as it could have lived happily on my lake and land if only I could have caught it.

Sometimes things work out well. A couple of years ago Judie came across a dog under identical circumstances. On that occasion she managed to catch it before it got run over. It was badly neglected, undernourished, very smelly and very little hair thanks to an advanced case of sarcoptic mange. No tattoo, no microchip, no reports of missing dogs from vets, mairies, gendarmes, rescue centres in the area. So the long process began of getting him back to good health and hoping there was nothing nasty he would pass on to our other dogs. He turned out to be a real character, and my sister fell in love with him - he is now in England with her, best of friends with her Maine Coon cat, and enjoying a very good life, including frequent trips back to France.

Although he has proved himself to be an excellent escapologist, there seems little doubt that he was abandoned. Which was strange indeed - although we will never know his breeding, when his hair returned he turned out to be a very good example of a Tibetan Terrier, supposedly better than many pure-breds. The same breed that won Crufts in 2007.

This is 'Fred' (short for fredbare, the state in which he was found)

[IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/vienormande/fred2.jpg[/IMG]

So there is sometimes a happy ending - keep trying, it may be your turn for one next time.

Oh dear, this reminds me of when a beautiful big black dog was struck by a car outside our place two years ago about 7am. I was up getting my son ready for school when I heard a bang and the sound of glass breaking, but it was pitch black outside and windy - I thought something had blown off the windowsill upstairs.

Leaving the house 30 minutes later I saw this large dog dead in the gutter outside on the road. I drove to the Mairie, then the Gendarme to report it. No interest at all. I returned home and the scene was so distressing; I was wondering what to do next when a local vineyard owner turned up in a van. The dog was his. It had strayed 1.5km's over to the road. Seeing that old man cry as his son placed the dog into the back of the van was so heartbreaking. 

Remembering the sound of the breaking glass that morning...I hope that the driver had to dig very deep into his pocket to fix the damage to his/her vehicle.

What a lovely story about Fred and a tragic story to follow from Jura.     Always said it since I came here.....English (although not all of them) are dog lover's, whereas (in the main) French are dog owner's.   I will never get used to seeing dogs tied up with a 2 metre length of rope running around in circles, absolutely demented,  I will never get used to seeing an increase in strays in August, their eyes following your car, hoping and hoping that you are their owner returning for them.     I will never get used to seeing dogs with their ribs almost popping for the want of food.    And before I'm shot down, yes I can see all of this in the UK I suppose, but my point is, I never did, whereas here, I can see it daily.

Not all English are necessarily dog lovers. When we lived in Norfolk our dog escaped the night before Christmas Eve. It had happened a couple of times before when visitors had left the gate open, and he usually came home. This time I got up in the night to see if he was on the doorstep, but nothing. Christmas Eve morning I was really worried so phoned the local police station to report him missing. About an hour later I had a call to say the body of a dog matching the description I gave had been found on the side of the main road leading into town late the night before by the local dog warden. He had taken him to the local pet crematorium and disposed of him due to the approach of the holiday season. It was confirmed it was our Charlie from his collar that they kept.

Whoever hit him didn't bother to tell anyone. It was not the best Christmas we had ever had.

Oh Memb.. NO ....   Please don't think so...

What you describe exists, but it is mainly seen in remote rural France places...

I live in the suburbs of Niort , (79) , and most of my neighbours and peopel I know wouldn't behave that way with animals!

Even though the refuge is full of lovely dogs.. as Christine underlined in another post...

RobRoy - A very sad story.    I did actually say in my post that not all English are dog lovers.   

Frenchie - We live in rural France which may be explains why we see it.      Of course there are many many animal loving French people, I know that.    We do fundraising for a refuge and help all we can, I just wish there was no cruelty nowhere, no animal deserves neglect and being treated cruelly.    Christine Animal does a fabulous job.

Archived