Complete France Forum

ASPICS what are these

passepartout

Hi sweet 16, pleased to hear that your Spaniel is on the mend, but what a fright, I would be mortified if I found my Winston in such a state. Can someone tell me what are ASPICS, and also Plum stones are they dangerous to dogs, we have a huge Plum orchard, and Winston goes off walkies on his own, and returns looking very pleased with himself, also are dried up grapes on the vines dangerous for him. There were we thinking that he has all this space to roam to his hearts content, never thought that it could be dangerous for him.

It's not a good idea to let you dog "go off walkies on his own" if you cannot see what he is up to.  Don't forget also that many dogs are stolen.

Better to be careful if he swallows too many plum stones, he could also swallow a wasp or something and be stung inside.

Grapes and raisins in large quantities are poisonous to dogs

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/grapeandraisin.htm

Passepartout, thank you for your good wishes.  If you look in the thread about my dog, you'll see RH's list of things that are poisonous to dogs.

Do heed Christine's advice about not letting your dog go off on his own.  For example, Wooly would not have realised his dog was bitten by a snake if he had'nt been around to see it happen.

Fortunately, our dog is nervous about wandering off on her own and would not even go to the back of the plot without one of us in attendance.

She, incidentally, had more injections and now antibiotics for 5 days.  It seems she could have ingested some poison or something to which she was allergic.  Certainly, there was a lot of bleeding in her gums and the bleeding, of course, could be internal as well.

We could have had a very different outcome so, do be very careful.  I have come to the conclusion that the French countryside is full of hidden hazards!

Sweet 17, sorry about the 16 there. Thanks for the info, will read the thread about raisins. We are not yet living permanently at our home in Duras, and when we are down, Winston loves his freedom, spends hours trying to catch lizards that disappear into the stone work, and sometimes is left with a wriggling lizard tail, much to his surprise, I am forever calling him back to make sure he is around, generally he stays close by, though not always in sight, so as soon as we can we'll get some sort of fenced area sorted out for him. Hope doggy is feeling better....thanks all

Hi. For what is worth, I do not think that plumstones will be a problem,. We have several plum trees in the garden which are generally heavy croppers and our two "mange tout" Labradors have now survived several years of excess  plum consumption without any evident bother - apart from around the waistline.

Vindolanda, that's a most reassuring post to me, thanks.

Our neighbour's plum tree is shedding fruit like there is no tomorrow and she and I are doing our best to remove the fallen plums.

Mind you, I saw our dog eat this rat or vole or whatever it was whole; couldn't get to her before she swallowed the lot. 

So, I guess you're right, what are a few plum stones compared to whole furry little animals?  Do you think dogs ever get indigestion?[:D]

Archived