Complete France Forum

Holiday with Rottweiler

MN&MN

We have always spent our holidays in France.  We have now become owners of a rescue rottweiler.  Looking at French information sites, I see that she would be seen as a class 2 dangerous dog.  She is a rescue, therefore is not registered but does have rabies vaccination, microchip, insurance and passport.  Would we encounter any difficulties bringing her to France on holiday? I do understand that she would have to be muzzled and kept on a lead at all times whilst in all areas other than our house.

Many thanks for any advice/help

Congratulations on adopting a Rottweiler. I cannot see that you would have any problem with her on holiday in France. She is vaccinated, micro chipped, insured and has a passport. Those of us who live here and own a Rottie need a permit. To get one, in addition to vaccinations, micro chip, insurance and passport, we have to have a vet’s behavioural assessment of the dog and we owners have to attend a course on responsible dog ownership (the one I went on was a hoot until I had to pay the €100 fee!). The requirement that she is kept muzzled and on a lead in public places is worth sticking to just for peace of mind. My pal Hubert and I always exercise our dogs together. He has a Springer spaniel. I carry a muzzle, but my little girl runs off leash in the woods and has a whale of a time. We’re reasonably fireproof as Hubert is a Captain in the Gendarmerie Nationale. And BTW, bring dog food with you as it is so expensive here. We import ours from the UK. If you want an absolutely definitive answer to your question, give the French Consulate in London a call, but I’m pretty sure I’m right. Enjoy your holiday.

Thank you so much for your reply.  I also have a springer spaniel, he and the rottie (Tinkerbelle is the rottie's name, from her previous owners, but it suits her!) are the best of friends and love running around the fields/woods together.  The area we would be going to is very rural Brittany to stay with our friends who live there.  I have never seen a Gendarme whenever we have visited them, but would muzzle her when out in public, which she will have to get used to, as I have never had a need to muzzle her here.  She is such a wonderful dog, I couldn't leave her or the springer behind if I don't have to.

I found this:

Voyager avec vos chiens, chats et furets en France

La seconde catégorie des chiens de garde ou de défense concerne les chiens de races pures inscrits à un livre généalogique reconnu, de race Staffordshire terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, Tosa, ainsi que les chiens ressemblant aux chiens de race Rottweiler. Ces chiens sont autorisés à entrer sur le territoire français ou à y transiter, mais le port de la muselière et de la laisse est obligatoire dans tous les lieux ouverts au public, le propriétaire doit en outre être assuré pour cet animal.

Précautions 

Des contrôles peuvent être pratiqués par les autorités lors de l’entrée en France ou à tout moment sur le territoire français. Les propriétaires ou les détenteurs des animaux doivent être en mesure de présenter les documents précités : passeport vétérinaire européen, inscription au livre généalogique et assurance pour les molosses classés en seconde catégorie de la loi sur les chiens dangereux. Dans le cas contraire, l’animal peut être refoulé à l’entrée sur le territoire ou placé en fourrière.

Il est recommandé aux voyageurs disposant d’une résidence en France de déclarer en Mairie les chiens de catégorie 2 dont ils ont la garde, comme le prévoit la réglementation.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote user="Beau Gus"]Congratulations on adopting a Rottweiler. I cannot see that you would have any problem with her on holiday in France. She is vaccinated, micro chipped, insured and has a passport. Those of us who live here and own a Rottie need a permit. To get one, in addition to vaccinations, micro chip, insurance and passport, we have to have a vet’s behavioural assessment of the dog and we owners have to attend a course on responsible dog ownership (the one I went on was a hoot until I had to pay the €100 fee!). The requirement that she is kept muzzled and on a lead in public places is worth sticking to just for peace of mind. My pal Hubert and I always exercise our dogs together. He has a Springer spaniel. I carry a muzzle, but my little girl runs off leash in the woods and has a whale of a time. We’re reasonably fireproof as Hubert is a Captain in the Gendarmerie Nationale. And BTW, bring dog food with you as it is so expensive here. We import ours from the UK. If you want an absolutely definitive answer to your question, give the French Consulate in London a call, but I’m pretty sure I’m right. Enjoy your holiday.[/quote]

What a blatant disregard for the law.

One would hope that a Captain in the Gendarmerie would show a good example.

I hope your Rottweiler never attacks a child, I have seen first hand the damage they can do.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="audio"]

[quote user="Beau Gus"]Congratulations on adopting a Rottweiler. I cannot see that you would have any problem with her on holiday in France. She is vaccinated, micro chipped, insured and has a passport. Those of us who live here and own a Rottie need a permit. To get one, in addition to vaccinations, micro chip, insurance and passport, we have to have a vet’s behavioural assessment of the dog and we owners have to attend a course on responsible dog ownership (the one I went on was a hoot until I had to pay the €100 fee!). The requirement that she is kept muzzled and on a lead in public places is worth sticking to just for peace of mind. My pal Hubert and I always exercise our dogs together. He has a Springer spaniel. I carry a muzzle, but my little girl runs off leash in the woods and has a whale of a time. We’re reasonably fireproof as Hubert is a Captain in the Gendarmerie Nationale. And BTW, bring dog food with you as it is so expensive here. We import ours from the UK. If you want an absolutely definitive answer to your question, give the French Consulate in London a call, but I’m pretty sure I’m right. Enjoy your holiday.[/quote]

What a blatant disregard for the law.

One would hope that a Captain in the Gendarmerie would show a good example.

I hope your Rottweiler never attacks a child, I have seen first hand the damage they can do.

[/quote]

A lot of things can do damage - just read about people being killed because of others driving idiotically but not every one does.

Dogs can be trained / made to be very viscious. They can also be trained to be very gentle and affectionate.

What any Dangerous Dogs Act does is penalise the good owners due to the bad.

Perhaps WWII films never help. The German guards always have snarling Rockies and Dobies.

With our previous Dobbie I used to sit on the sofa and fight with him with my bare feet. He scored when he caught my foot in his mouth gently resting his teeth against my skin. Yet, walk down a treet and those not in the know would sometimes cross over - even more so if with friends who also had a Dobbie.

Perhaps the Captain can use common sense and know when a dog is not dangerous just playful.

Paul

Archived