Complete France Forum

RIP Vanille (not for the soft hearted)

woolybanana

She was not my dog, but we were well acquainted and she nearly became mine. Her life was spent first in a huge garden with a jungle and a forest to play in with loadsa kids and toys and fun. Then, the garden was smaller and she seldom got out much, but she had people all the time and good food and a warm kennel, and she came in if it was cold or there were big bangs. And the cat, with whom she played and laughed and chased and shared her food and slept, cuddled up tight together. And she was brushed and combed and made pretty. She only bit a couple of times

But she got infections in her ears and they scratched and hurt and hurt so much that sometimes she dug holes and put her ears on the cool soil to ease them a bit. And the vet gave her cream and stuff and it all went away and she was happy again, but it all came back, again and again, and then it would not go away and the vet said that there was nothing they could do as she was immune to all the antibiotics in the whole world.

So they laid her down on a cold place and her mummy held her and the nasty vet gave her a jab and she watched her mummy all the time, trusting, begging silently, wondering why her mummy was crying. And then slowly it all slowed down and went dark and she went away.

And she is mourned.

I was there when the vet put our dog to sleep and then gave her a lethal dose. Our vet was lovely. He joined me and our dog on the floor and it was all peaceful and calm and I'm crying now, as this has brought it all back. She was very ill and her hips had gone and her time had come, but it still was hard.

If our pets have had a good life, unlike humans, we can do the humane thing and send them on their way removing them from further pain.

[quote user="woolybanana"]And she is mourned.[/quote]

And so is the cat who(m) I entrusted to the vet, albeit on a Bank Holiday, in the UK one year; the cat who had been hit by a car, just in front of our house in our village. Said characterful cat made it back home, through the cat flap, and collapsed on the laundry room floor. Straight away took cat to vet, who pronounced her very, very seriously wounded, and who suggested immediate euthanasia because of the extent of her injuries. After looking at x-rays could only agree with the diagnosis as the cat's stomach was pushed up into chest etc etc. But on reflection I did wonder whether the fact that it was a Bank Holiday had something to do with said diagnosis. When injected with the so-called lethal dose of anaesthetic to kill her Sage, as was her name, fought back and endured. A second lethal dose was given; t'was then I began to have my doubts.

Now I question everything, however innocuous and innocent sounding it may be.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
Lost the MOST beautiful of cats at 4 years of age because either someone was stupid enough to leave anti-freeze out where it could be got at, or else, I so hope not, left it out deliberately to poison him. A very characterful cat who had SO much living to do, so very much mourned.[:'(]

[quote user="woolybanana"]

So they laid her down on a cold place and her mummy held her and the nasty vet gave her a jab and she watched her mummy all the time, trusting, begging silently, wondering why her mummy was crying. And then slowly it all slowed down and went dark and she went away.

And she is mourned.

[/quote]It is always hard to have to put down a much loved pet but it is a humane way to end incurable suffering. I feel you are being somewhat harsh by describing the vet as nasty. Most vets and certainly any vet that I would consider using care deeply about animals and wouldn't do it unless they felt it was in the interests of the animal.

Remember it is in the the financial interest of the vet to keep the animal alive for as long as possible  

Archived