Complete France Forum

Flea treatments.

Jo

Despite using Frontline regularly on our cats and dogs the largest dog still gets fleas[+o(] We have made sure we are giving the right dose for her weight[geek] but she still has them, the house is treated on a regular basis but the little perishers are still on her, but only her[blink]We are going to change to the Advantage/Advantix to see if that makes a difference, but does it treat ticks as well? The only reference I can see on the 'blurb' refers to fleas.

Clearly says tick and flea here:

http://www.vetshopaustralia.com.au/advantix-C87.aspx

OK, that's the dog one and it's not suitable for cats.(Edited for safety reasons following the posts below)

EDIT : Interesting.  On the zooplus site tics are mentioned for dogs but not cats.

http://www.zooplus.fr/ask?q=advantix+chat&num=20&form=rechercher

EDIT No. 2

Zooplus do lots of other anti tic stuff for cats though:

http://www.zooplus.fr/ask?q=anti+tique+chat&num=20&form=rechercher

I remember our vet telling us once (and I checked again this morning on the internet) that the formulations are different and that the

cat version is excellent against fleas but doesn't treat ticks.  This is because Advantix contains permethrin, a synthetic insecticide, which is toxic to

cats. Dogs and other mammals metabolize permethrin effectively,

resulting in a perfectly safe product for them. However, cats cannot

metabolize permethrin and will suffer from toxic effects - which can actually kill them -  if exposed to

the insecticide. Permethrin toxicity in cats

can happen in a variety of ways, including direct application or close

contact with a dog that has been treated within the last 48 hours.  So the cat version is called Advantage and doesn't have the anti-tick ingredient.

We have the same problem with Frontline which many cats and dogs (or rather their fleas) have apparently now become resistant to.  We tend to use Advantage or Advocate on our two cats and I occasionally use Frontline between treatments on the younger active one who picks up ticks while out hunting.  We do inspect him regularly though and then remove the odd couple of nasties with one of those little tick hooks.

Val

Would definitely not be able to use the Advantix on our dogs then, as one cat in particular gets very up close and personal with the dogs[:$] prefering to sleep on top of them than on a chair[:-))] so it looks like advantage for both the cats and dogs with an additional tick treatment for them all.

[quote user="val douest"]I remember our vet telling us once (and I checked again this morning on the internet) that the formulations are different and that the cat version is excellent against fleas but doesn't treat ticks.  This is because Advantix contains permethrin, a synthetic insecticide, which is toxic to cats. Dogs and other mammals metabolize permethrin effectively, resulting in a perfectly safe product for them. However, cats cannot metabolize permethrin and will suffer from toxic effects - which can actually kill them -  if exposed to the insecticide. Permethrin toxicity in cats can happen in a variety of ways, including direct application or close contact with a dog that has been treated within the last 48 hours.  So the cat version is called Advantage and doesn't have the anti-tick ingredient.

We have the same problem with Frontline which many cats and dogs (or rather their fleas) have apparently now become resistant to.  We tend to use Advantage or Advocate on our two cats and I occasionally use Frontline between treatments on the younger active one who picks up ticks while out hunting.  We do inspect him regularly though and then remove the odd couple of nasties with one of those little tick hooks.

Val

[/quote]

Very very important note Val.

Archived