Complete France Forum

Strike warning

Mistral

No school in sixieme? I'd be surprised. That would mean that every single teacher he has that day is on strike. It's possible but unlikely. Even then, the school is open and has a legal obligation to take any pupil who turns up. It's not the same as in primary.

What generally happens is that pupils check with their teachers to see if they will be striking (they don't have to tell them)  Then they check that against their timetable to see what sort of gaps they will have and if it's "worth it" coming into school. From experience, I know that parents don't always get the complete information. I remember one class whose only striking teacher was the art teacher (and they didn't have art that day) and only 3 pupils came in.

I'm not saying send him in at all costs so he can spend 5 hours in perm, but get him to check his info carefully. Some teachers don't make allowances for strikes, teach their planned lesson (well, you would if a couple of pupils were absent with flu) and then set homework or even tests without you knowing.

Thanks Mistral - I know about what you said.  The last time they went on strike, only one of her four teachers was there, so she stayed home.  We will see who plans to work on Thursday and compare it to her schedule.

It is a bit frustrating when they can't tell you until the last minute who will be working. 

Timetabling is an arcane art.  French at 8.30-9.30, then again at 3pm-4pm.   Perm from 11am till 4pm (that one really is a drag!).

Eldest child (6eme) has 4 hours of English a week. 2 on Tuesday and 2 on Thursday. It's not exactly well spread out. His English teacher is fuming

One of the reasons for wierd timetabling is that teachers have the right to a half day free and some of them are very particular about which one it is. So their timetable has to be organised around it. Of course this has a knock on effect.  Another problem is when you have teachers working in two schools and they are only in one of the schools two half days.

One of the reasons for wierd timetabling is that teachers have the right to a half day free

So they work a 4-day week, since they already have Wednesday afternoon off?  

The skool nurse in my son's collège (nearly 800 little darlings) works in 2 different places.  I know this because my son had a nose-bleed at school one day and when the nurse isn't there there's no way at all of dealing with even the slightest medical inconvenience.  So I had to go and get him and he had a nice day off! 

The skool nurse in my son's collège (nearly 800 little darlings) works in 2 different places

Only 2? Ours is in three. My last collège had a SEGPA so we had a full time nurse. It's amazing how quickly you get used to that sort of luxury

So they work a 4-day week, since they already have Wednesday afternoon off?  

Technically yes, Only most have at least two half days free (and complain if they don't) But things like starting at 9am instead of 8am counts as a half day.

Most collège teachers are certifiés and they are expected to do 18 hours in front of the class. The calculation is that for every hour's lesson there is 1.5 hours prep and correction meaning a total of 45 hours per week.

Archived