Complete France Forum

Mixture of French and British education systems?

Kitty

I would be interested to learn of people's opinions about educating a child in the French system until the Brevet (taken more-or less at the age of 15) and then spending 3 years in British private school 6th form (one year to adjust and 2 years to take 'AS' and 'A2' Levels).

Has anyone done this or know anyone who has done it?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Why? Better served perhaps to stay in the French system but with extra English, then go to UK Uni. (Could even take the gap year then)[/quote]

WB - I have heard that children who return to British 6th form can take French A Level and be sure of getting an 'A' and then do a couple of other subjects that they like, rather than suffering the Bac (see the thread that is talking about the difference between A Levels and Bac).

As the Brevet is one year in advance of GCSEs, they have one year to adjust.  But this can only be done in private schools because in a state school, they would be required to join Year 11.  Brighter children may not need a year to adjust perhaps, especially if they are taking maths or sciences (with less English language imput, where they will be weaker than British educated children).

Thanks for the explanation, WB.

This thread is slightly overlaping with the A Level/BAC thread, but I would still like to hear from someone who knows of an example of a child who stays in France until the Brevet (3eme) and then transfers to UK 6th Form.

We are thinking of doing this for our son and so would welcome experiences.

Archived