Complete France Forum

Choosing school

andy&lucy

We are wanting to buy a property nr to St Hilaire du Harcouet but need to rent around that area until we find something.

We have an 8 year old daughter and I was wondering if I am able to enrol her in a school that might not necessarily be in the town/village that we eventually buy - although will be near.

I'm sure I've previously heard that it's frowned upon by the Mairie to send children to a different village school.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Lucy

Hello Lucy and welcome to the Forum

I have educated children here in France and I have tried not to change their schools too often.  The first year in France will be the most traumatic for your child and it’s not a good idea to move them, unless you really can’t help it.

An idea: you could look to see if there are any private primary schools in your area because they have wider catchment areas.  Private schools are not as expensive as you might think.  For my 10 year old, I pay 23€ per month plus 37€ for lunches.  I like the private system because they rarely go on strike - last year, my children in state schools were absent because of striking teachers about 5 times.

Take a look at the Education Section of this Forum – you will find some of the threads very helpful and illuminating.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/206/ShowForum.aspx

Archived