Complete France Forum

change of department

Gyn_Paul

When I finish moving from 44 to 23 I will obviously have to replate the vehicles (2 cars and a van). Anyone know if this is a fixed fee per vehicle or is it CV-dependant?

I'll have a 3 litre petrol, a 1.9 L diesel, and a 2.5 L diesel to do eventually. 

paul

I would go into your prefecture and get this done. You will need your carte grise's and proof of residence in your new dept and perhaps proof of who you are. You'll probably have to queue but they do it immediately. It is free.

Then you need to inform your insurance company and buy new plates and get them fitted.

Incidentally there is a one month time limit for getting this done, so there is no eventually and there can be hefty fines if you don't. Also there are new rules concerning cars bought since June 2004. So check up about that with the prefecture.

The charge is levied by CV,then model and age I believe and my daughter paid only 20€ less than when the vehicle was first registered but if you are not changing address and name it may vary.

There is a time limit as TU says but our maire's secretary took 8 years to change her plates when she moved 2 miles back over the border.

[quote]The charge is levied by CV,then model and age I believe and my daughter paid only 20€ less than when the vehicle was first registered but if you are not changing address and name it may vary.There is ...[/quote]

Fair point Val - certainly a number French friends of ours seem to have a remarkably lax attitude to this particular aspect (and these are people who are otherwise strongly law abiding, I might add). Wasn't there some idea that vehicles would shortly be given a "number for life"? Or did I dream that?

Thank you everyone for the info...

My apparent laid-back attitude to the time-scale is because we are in the fortunate position of buying the 23 house before we sell the 44 one (We need to be in the tax system as full residents a while yet for them to recognise it as our maison principal; therefore salable without CGT), so the 23 house is - for the moment - a maison secondaire.

paul

And if you leave it long enough the "plates for life" might have become a reality.

Absolutely, if you want your 23 as much as I wanted my 24 then you'd best sort it before the changes come into force...

Archived