Complete France Forum

French Driving Licence in the UK

Bikboks

My earlier message went out prematurely, I want to edit it as it was intended to read.

Having reached the milestone of "three score years and ten", I was required to surrender my UK driving licence for a French one. This carries the restriction "GB70"

Does this mean:-

a) I can no longer drive in the UK?

b) I have somehow to demonstrate that I am still fit to drive as would be required in the UK at my present age?

c) I should write to the DVLC for guidance.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Malcolm

[quote]I would hazard a guess that it notes that the original licence was a GB licence which was valid until the age of 70 when you would need to renew it???S[/quote]

OK, I may be wrong here but:

How can you renew a UK driving licence if you reside in France as they simply will not do it?

If the Flics stop you and you are resident in France with a UK licence, regardless of the law they will instruct you to get a French licence - which is why we are thinking about this.

Are all 70+ French drivers banned from driving in the UK on their EU wide accepted French license until they get a UK version or get a letter from their UK GP (err...) and renew a non existent UK license.

We have been through this with friends who have just turned 70 and they could not find an answer except they needed a French license.

I personally think that this is a lose lose situation, you HAVE to get French license here (see * below) and if you are unlucky enough to be stopped when driving in the UK on a French license and are over 70 you will be deemed to have broken the rules/law over there.

*The problem with the UK license is that the UK will not show a non UK address on it so it is not really suitable for a resident in France in any case.

Such is EU wide harmonisation of rules and regulations - sorry I am not much help

My twopenneth - we know an englishman been living here for donkeys. He reached 70 last year and changed after allthose years to a French licence, HOWEVER it does state on it that he NOT allowed to drive on it the UK only in France. Now who is correct? I strongly suggest you get it in writing from the French authorities and from the DVLC as to your rights.

This culled from the DVLA website :

Visitors

If you hold a valid Community licence and you are visiting Great Britain, you can drive any vehicle for as long as your licence remains valid.  The appropriate full entitlement for the vehicle you wish to drive must be shown on your licence.

Residents

If you have a valid Community licence, this will authorise you to drive in this country for the periods set out below.  Alternatively, you can apply to exchange your licence for a British one at any time.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB -

Ordinary licence holders
Until aged 70 or for 3 years after becoming resident whichever is the longer period.

So it looks to me like you can visit and drive on your French licence but not move back????

Peter this is truthful. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that he has lived here for well over 20 years and has never changed to a french licence and did so last year to escape the age restriction on a GB one. It was printed there for all to see - not valid for use in the United Kingdom. It didn't really bother him because he only goes as far as the town to get his fags and paper and certainly not to the UK anymore. Just one of France's little foibles I think or a huge clerical error at the prefecture which is possible too.

Archived