Complete France Forum

Moving to Limousin

I realise that Complete France isn't a rental listing website and we're unlikely to find any properties here, but I'm hoping a member might have a contact in Limousin that we can speak to. My wife and I are moving to Limousin in February / March 2014 and, before we commit to buying a property, we wanted to rent somewhere for a while first. Ideally we’re looking for somewhere with between 2 – 3 bedrooms. Has anyone got any estate agent (or even private landlord) contacts that we can speak to about renting property in Limousin? We have looked online of course but most estate agents only seem to advertise properties for sale rather than rent. Any help much appreciated.

This might help; though as you haven't said which of the 3 departments of the Limousin you are thinking of, it can only be a taster.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/offres/limousin/  change the area in the postcode box on the right.

The above are French rentals which are usually unfurnished, unless they are short period holiday lets when they will be furnished but more expensive.

Sue

Firstly welcome to the forum.

You are doing absolutely the right thing in renting first. Many members will always recomend you go this route.

Renting in France is normally unfurnished and many landlords will want you to stay a year which is a good thing really as many will tell you thats what you need to do to experience both summer and winter etc. Likewise most properties are rented out directly and not through agencies. A good website is http://www.leboncoin.fr/ which is a French website and very popular. Another source is local newspapers, once you know the name of the local paper you can look at it online. Renting contracts tend to be quite standard. I am sure somebody can point you to a website that has a typical rental agreement.

It might pay you to look at Gites. Sometimes you come across a forward thinking owner who sees they can make more money by reducing the price a lot for a years rental. This is what we did when we first came over years ago. They are not dependent on advertising and will have a constant monthly income. You wouldn't need to furnish it but you would be paying all the bills (water, electricity, tax etc) during your stay which means the owner can also remove these from the rental price. It also gives you  an idea as to the running costs for the future.

Mods Hat ON

If any member has a property they think is suitable for the OP remember the rules and contact them by PM or email please.

Mods Hat OFF

[quote user="Quillan"]

Renting in France is normally unfurnished and many landlords will want you to stay a year [/quote]

Unfurnished rental contracts in France are for a period of 3 years, hence the term "ça fait un bail!" meaning its been a long time (since I saw you etc).

That said its usually not difficult for the tenants to at the very least "appear" to meet the conditions end the contact early, much harder for the landlord.

Very sensible to rent, especially in the current weak French housing market, as if you decided the area of France you have chosen is not for you after all, because the winter climate is colder than you expected for example, you don't want to find you are stuck because you cannot sell without taking a big loss.

Important to realise that unlike the UK's forecast booming housing market, French property prices, especially rural, are forecast to contunue to decline and with many currency analysts bullish about the fortunes of the £ going forward, waiting to buy is probably a prudish decision.

Archived