Complete France Forum

Renault Scenic 1.9TDI

Gyn_Paul

I'm fairly new to this vehicle so don't know any of it provenance or breeding so what I have might well be a common fault, don't know.

With a warm engine, starting off after a short break, often when pulling up a slight incline, when changing from 1st to 2nd (or possibly 2nd to 3rd) the engine races just as if the throttle was stuck. It isn't, of course, as there is no change in the back-pressure on the pedal and putting one's toe under it and flicking it has no effect. Anyway it roars like a banshee and you watch the rev counter sweep round the dial and then it calms down and everything is back to normal. Only takes a few seconds but by God it doesn't half frighten the horses !

Sounds like an engine management computer fault which - naturally - won't show anything when connected to the Renault 'diagnostique'. Just wondered if this is a one-off, or am I treading a well-worn furrow?

p

Hi,

Doesn't sound quite right does it?

Have a look at [url=http://forum.parkers.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17214&whichpage=1]Parkers' forum[/url] .The link is to a thread especially for Renault Scénic owners and covers quite a few problems [blink].  There are a few extremely knowledgable guys on there who respond to most peoples problems.  It was quite scary reading when I recently bought a Scénic RX4!

Hi

This isn't exactly going to help, but I had a Renault Megane 2 litre

petrol back in the Uk and had exactly this problem with it, and also

sometimes when idling, eg at junctions........never discovered what or

why though!  My husband investigated thoroughly and we mentioned

it when the car was serviced but no joy.  It was intermittant and

sometimes would go for ages without doing it, in the end I just got

used to it, we did sell the car to a friend when we moved to France,

next time we speak to him I will try to remember to ask if it still

does it!

Maybe it is a Renault thing.........

Lou

PS to last post - conforming to stereotype here as dumb female knowing

nothing about cars......my husband has just said we DID get the problem

sorted, the man at the garage fixed it, something to do with the power

steering relay which over-revs to compensate for low speeds - he

adjusted it and voila it was ok.  I have no idea what this means!!

Lou

[quote user="Lou"]Hi
This isn't exactly going to help, but I had a Renault Megane 2 litre petrol back in the Uk and had exactly this problem with it, and also sometimes when idling, eg at junctions........never discovered what or why though!  My husband investigated thoroughly and we mentioned it when the car was serviced but no joy.  It was intermittant and sometimes would go for ages without doing it, in the end I just got used to it, we did sell the car to a friend when we moved to France, next time we speak to him I will try to remember to ask if it still does it!
Maybe it is a Renault thing.........
Lou

[/quote]

Your last post certainly sounds better than selling a lemon to a friend!!  Is it 'Caveat emptor'?

Archived