Complete France Forum

Importing a car

Thinking about importing my 3 yo Kia Sportage from Australia as it hasn't sold in nearly 9 months over there (hardly surprising considering it's a Kia).

Does anyone know if Kia's are considered as Japanese Grey Imports or not? I know Kia is Korean, but don't know if Japanese Grey Imports is a generic term or one specific to Japanese cars only.

Hi,

Kia have been selling the Sportage in France since 2004. First step would be to  establish whether your Aus model is built to the same spec that was granted european conformity. Why not give their 'service d'homologation' a call direct and see whether your model /chassis number corresponds to the European counterpart. (KIA France: 69, rue de la Belle Etoile, Tel 01 41 84 56 56). Given that your car is registered outside of the EEC you will still need to apply to the DRIRE for a single type approval (réception à titre isolée - RTI)), but this will be much more straightforward if your car is the same as its european counterpart. If however your model does not match the European Sportage you will have to produce original (Australian?) conformity certificates and a host of technical information to complete the RTI application. This process can be long and fraught with potential difficulties so its worth deciding early on just how attached you are to your car....... In addition to paperwork you will have to change headlights to LHD units, move the rear foglight, and (if the inspector is particularly over zealous) possibly change all glass if it doesn't carry an E (european conformity) stamp, submit individual test reports (pollution, braking etc). The list is long!

The term Japanese Grey Import refers to vehicles invariably built for the Japanese domestic market that are imported into the UK. I believe there are about 50,000 Japanese grey imports into the UK each year, however in France you can knock off 4 zeros and then take away 5! Unsurprisingly there isn't a French term for these imports.

Bon courage!

I agree with basquen.  We made the mistake of bringing over a Toyota Corolla from the U.S.  What a nightmare !  It took me nearly two years of hassles before finally getting the vehicle approved and tagged.  I would NEVER do it again.

We ended up HAVING to buy a car in France as we couldn't get the Toyota insured without proper tags and licensing.   Total nightmare.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

How do you find out if the car is a grey import or not?

[quote user="basquen"]

.......give their 'service d'homologation' a call direct and see whether your model /chassis number corresponds to the European counterpart.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry, saw that after I'd posted my reply. Forum wouldn't allow me to delete the post.

Archived