Complete France Forum

Free, now that's unusual today

Bugsy

If you're in the market for a car manual Haynes have a very special offer for expats living in France. Simply order a manual from them and at the time of order ask them for a copy of their Anglais-Francais Dictionnaire Technique. It's free, providing you are ordering a manual and it contains virtually all the vehicle related words that you won't find in a normal English/French dictionary.

I couldn't find any details of the offer on the Haynes web site, and I was looking at the site Bugbear gave - how come I'm missing this?

Cassis - The weird car is a 2001 Peugeot 306 SW 1.9D - not very weird in France, or Belgium where it started out in life. Allegedly they were never made in RHD with that engine and body combination so Peugeot UK cannot find it. We'll find out for sure next week when it goes to the local UK Peugeot garage. In France, the VIN in Peugeot's database apparently gives the reg no, my name and address and all the work that has ever been done at a Peugeot dealer (not a lot, because it gets regularly serviced by the nearest garage and that's a Renault agency). Why does life have to be so complicated?

Will - if you want the car manual as well then it does cover that engine and it says it covers "specials" apart from a couple - yours is not listed in the exceptions.  Was the SW different to the estate?  Maybe they've never heard of it!

306 manual

I've ordered a copy - do you want to contact me in a couple of weeks about what it covers?  Delivery is 5-10 days.

Thanks Cassis, I'm sure the various bits of the car will be covered by the Haynes manual, it's just when all the bits come together to make a whole that the sum of the parts doesn't exist in England. It's fine until you need something like an exhaust (which I do) when the hatchback one is too short and the British SW one is made to fit the petrol or HDi engines, not the engine in my car. I could wait until I get back to France, but having driven from Derbyshire to Sussex without a silencer the other day I don't really want to take it all that way...

It's just the same here Will, try getting an exhaust for a Jeep !! I also had a manual from Haynes for a Honda XL600 off-road bike. It was never imported to the UK but most of the information was sound. I'm sure that the manual for your car will cover most of the stuff you need.

Archived