Complete France Forum

Classic cars in France

Graham Smith

I'm moving (permanently) to the Indre soon, and have a 32-year-old Triumph Spitfire. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has imported a classic like this, especially if they can give advice about registration, getting it tested, how much time you have to do this etc. If I've got a current MOT, British insurance, tax and everything, how long can it wait before I have to change everything? One problem is that I won't have a permanent address for a while as we are going into rented accomodation whilst building our house.

Any advice?

As I understand it, you have one month to change your registration etc once you move to France.  The address of your rental accommodation should be fine.  If you do a quick search, you'll find what you need.  The thing I don't know is about changing your headlamps - you may have to scour e-bay a bit for some LHD ones for a Spitfire!

See

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/684121/ShowPost.aspx

for all you need to know about the admin' process

The headlamps should be Lucas (or pattern, Wipac etc) sealed beams and are simple and cheap to replace.

New LH dipping lamps are all you need on the Spitfire, I seem to recall? Depends on the year, of course.

Don't think the nacelles are different. LHD and RHD.

[quote user="Graham Smith"]

Wow! Thanks for the rapid replies, guys!

Re: headlamps.... Sorry, but I was under the impression that it would just be OK to re-align them, since it's possible to get the dip over to the right without much trouble. Am I being naiive?

[/quote]

Not possible I'm afraid. You will need new units. They are available from motor parts shops and are not expensive. Look for Valeo units. If they are standard round units they cost about sixty euros a pair.

The Triunph Spitfire has satandard 7 inch round headlights which on a UK car are probably sealed beam. Headlights from an old VW Golf and many other cars are a direct replacement with the advantage of being Halogen. Cibie used to make them and were known as Cibie Z beams, don't know if you can still get them, but any brekers yard over here should be able to supply 7 inch round headlights.

Archived