Complete France Forum

Cheap Car Insurance?

Goodlife

We've been looking at various car insurance quotes and cannot quite believe how expensive they are.  To insure our 1999 Toyota Landcruiser in the UK cost around £400 p.a. whereas the cheapest quote we can find for a very similar car (also a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser) in France is €1800 p.a. 

With prices in this range we MUST be looking in the wrong places (we hope!), so can anyone recomend a insurance company they have found to be competitively priced, or perhaps an online car insurance comparison website?

You will find that the insurance for " foreign" cars is dear as the parts are expensive for repairs, even BMW and Mercedes are more expensive than a comparable French car.  What sort of discount are you getting for NCB?  If you get 50% that is a good price for a gas guzzler.  I hope its diesel because with the price of petrol going up and up it ain't going to do your bank balance much good using that here.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]You will find that the insurance for " foreign" cars is dear as the parts are expensive for repairs, even BMW and Mercedes are more expensive than a comparable French car.  What sort of discount are you getting for NCB?  If you get 50% that is a good price for a gas guzzler.  I hope its diesel because with the price of petrol going up and up it ain't going to do your bank balance much good using that here.[/quote]The €1800 is including a 50% discount.  It's simply staggering the insurance prices over here.  I'm surprised there isn't a stike somewhere to complain about it [;-)].  Might need to re-think the choice of vehicle, but the problem is that modern French cars have a habit of falling to bits after a few years...

I find insurance for cars and bikes much cheaper here. There seem to be millions of modern French cars on the road and I have not seen any that have fallen to bits, but if that is what you believe then stick with your assumptions and pay out 1800 euros for insurance.

[quote user="Bob T"]I find insurance for cars and bikes much cheaper here. There seem to be millions of modern French cars on the road and I have not seen any that have fallen to bits, but if that is what you believe then stick with your assumptions and pay out 1800 euros for insurance.
[/quote]

Or have an older car, pay less insurance and forget the 'image' [;-)]

€1800 sounds horrendous, even for a Landcruiser. 

Just a long shot: were you asked to state the engine's horsepower, and if so, what did you enter?  The unit of measurement varies hugely from country to country - I have a car with a 1.9 litre diesel engine which the manufacturer describes as "110 hp" but which is officially rated in France as 6 cv, which is the basis of my French insrurance premium.

As I said, it's a long shot, but maybe somebody's computer thinks you have a vehicle with a tank engine in it. 

I think that was the whole point behind Allanb's post.

Cheaper car insurance in France is, I am afraid, a myth - having recently insured a car in England and had a similar one insured in France. I know you get breakdown insurance included in France.

SD: I was assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the OP didn't have a carte grise yet, hence the possibility of error.

Incidentally, is there a source that gives the fiscal 'cv' rating for any given car?  Or would that be giving away one of your secrets?

[quote user="allanb"]

SD: I was assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the OP didn't have a carte grise yet, hence the possibility of error.

[/quote]

[;-)]

[quote user="allanb"]

Incidentally, is there a source that gives the fiscal 'cv' rating for any given car?  Or would that be giving away one of your secrets?

[/quote]

Check out [url=http://fiches-auto.lacentrale.fr/]THIS[/url].

My mystery is evaporating fast......[:(]

Archived