Complete France Forum

Toll charges

briwy

Can anyone tell me if the toll charges per mile differ throughout France or are they all the same?

Does it depend on what autoroute network you are on,  what time of day it is or anything else.

Some of my toll charges dont seem to make sense with mileage relative to cost.

[quote user="briwy"]   

Some of my toll charges dont seem to make sense with mileage relative to cost.
[/quote]

Welcome to France. The charges have more relation to the construction costs.

Have you ever used the Isle of Wight ferry (the most expensive in the world, probably)

From Millau to Clermont-Ferrand some 400kms it is completely free.  From Figeac to Brive on the A 20 costs only 1.50€

However from Rodez to Paris using the A75/A71 is much more expensive than going across and using the A20 to the A71 as the tolls on the first part of the A71 are much dearer than on the A20.  So the answer to your question is there is no comparable charge per KM.

I agree that they all vary but I have found that generally (and this is only a generalisation) wherever I have used peages for any measurable distance i.e; 90 mins plus that the charges equate closely to my spending on diesel, my car does about 55mpg on the autoroutes.

When I have used only short sections, one or two exits it seemed to cost a lot more proportionally.

I usually budget for my fuel based on the distance and allow an equal amount for peages. When I have used sites like mappy it usually came up with similar figures.

For the last couple of years the peage increases seemed to mirror the diesel increases but now that the cost of diesel has recently rocketed it is probably no longer the case.

Archived