Complete France Forum

Selling a car

Lori

Hello:

Does anyone know if car dealers in France will buy your car from you - or sell it for you?  I am not too keen on having people I don't know coming to my house to see the car and then having to go for a drive with them.  I am on my own and am a bit nervous about this. 

When I looked online to check on the value of the car, I did see several car dealers (that did not appear to be new car dealers) with used cars (only none were in my dept.).  So, does this mean there are dealers who will either buy your car from you or place it on their lot to sell for you?

Thanks for any info.

Car dealers do buy cars for stock, but this will depend on the model that you are offering and it's condition/mileage, etc as well as their own current stock situation.  They will take into account the cost of stocking the car long term if it doesn't sell quickly, the cost of retail preparation, warranty, etc plus their required profit margin.  That means the price they are likely to offer you will almost certainly be low. 

Some car dealers also offer a 'depot vente' facility where they will put your car on a forecourt and sell it on your behalf.  They will usually offer the buyer a 'used car' warranty (at your cost) and charge you a commission for the sale.

Why not take a day out to visit all the car showrooms/garages in your area and ask them?

Thanks to you both.  SD - yes I intend to do that.  I just thought someone here might know the answer and save me a bit of time.  No problem, there are many dealers in Carpentras.  I'll head their direction this week. 

If I end up having to sell it without the aid of a dealer, has anyone got any tips on how to keep things safe?  I'm not expecting Jack the Ripper to show up to test drive my car, but being alone, it does concern me.

Forgive me if I sound silly.

Archived