Complete France Forum

Breakdown cover

Acoustic

At the moment our car is Spanish registered, taxed, tested and insured.  We spend a lot of time there, still have our residencia and it generally suits us that way.  We have fully comprehensive lineadireca insurance which includes breakdown cover too.  However, having broken down yesterday and spent many hours constantly getting an engaged signal from their so-called emergency number we have decided to get something equivalent to AA or RAC cover for while we are in France.  I haven´t been able to see any such organisations online.  Does anyone have any recommendations please?  Fortunately we managed to get going at 7am this morning with the help of a charming old French gentleman and his shed full of amazing bits and pieces and no thanks at all to lineadirecta!

I stand to be corrected, but as fas as Im aware, there is no specific breakdown services in France like UK`s RAC / AA etc, but breakdown insurance is available as an option with French car insurance. This seems to use local contractors and garages rather than a national fleet.

[quote user="dave21478"]

I stand to be corrected, but as fas as Im aware, there is no specific breakdown services in France like UK`s RAC / AA etc, but breakdown insurance is available as an option with French car insurance. This seems to use local contractors and garages rather than a national fleet.

[/quote]

And in a large number of cases so does the RAC/AA

Even Europ assistance (which I believe is a French company, certainly not British) whilst having a good variety of continental breakdown plans for UK residents only offer a non subscription service in France I.E. phone them give them your credit card number and they will send out a breakdown truck at from memory €150 per hour.

The UK european cover subscription service is only available to UK residents.

I guess with such low cost but basic cover included in most insurance policies there is no way that they can tempt the Frenc public into paying again for a bells and whistles service.

[quote user="J.R gone native"][...] Europ assistance[...] will send out a breakdown truck at from memory €150 per hour.[/quote]

€150 per call-out, Monday to Friday between 8am and 6 pm and €190 per call-out any other time.

http://www.europ-assistance.fr/front/produit.do?exec=tarifs&code=P_EADEPAN

[quote]Ce tarif comprend une prestation de

dépannage-remorquage, ainsi que dans le cadre de cette prestation,

l’accès aux autres services décrits au paragraphe D.

Ces tarifs ne comprennent pas :

- les coûts de réparation, (pièces et main d’œuvre) du véhicule,

- les coûts des pneus, si ceux-ci doivent être changés,

- les frais conséquents à la récupération des clés (serrures endommagées, vitres brisées…)[/quote]

Archived