Complete France Forum

Watch out for yer cat!

Jonzjob

Last time I weighed in some scrap cars, I took the cats off and sent them in sperately. £50 - £80 per cat if its original equipment, depending on its size. Aftermarket replacement ones are worth less, but still £20-£40 or so.

Scrap metal dealing is MASSIVE business in UK now. an old beavertail transit can be bought for around a thousand pounds, you then spend your day patrolling the streets knocking on doors where there is a car sitting unused on the driveway. Scrap price is currently dropping for "dirty" steel (cars that havent been stripped of plastics etc) but an average family car will still net £150 - £200. Less scrupulous folk just lift the cars anyway whether the owners want to sell them or not. Many scrap yards dont ask for id or paperwork for the cars, so its easy to steal them and cash in the evidence no questions asked. This is a real risk for classic and retro car owners, especially if they are in the process of restoring a car. The ratty old jag on the driveway might be their latest project, but to the dodgy scrap man, its nearly two tons waiting to be cashed in.

Over 20 landrover defenders have been nicked from The Wirral area in the last week. They are either being stolen to order for export to africa, or more likely, they are just being weighed in for scrap steel and aluminium.

Its strange that these prices dont seem to be occuring over here in France. I enquired about scrapping a few car shells, and was told id get 20 - 50€ per car. in UK I would expect around £100 per car, so I reckon french scrap dealers are making a very large profit on the steel. They certainly know about the scraps value, my local breakers yard has put up signs saying he is urgently looking for and paying cash for old cats, batteries and whole cars, yet he offers a pittance for them.

As for Whatever Next - expect your car not to start one morning due to no fuel thanks to a screwdriver stabbed through the petrol tank or cut fuel lines....Its already commonplace in UK now. Diesel theft from parked trucks, haulage depot bulk tanks etc is on the rise, as is theft from private cars. In aberdeen, it seems that chavs are perfectly happy to stab your tank and catch a few litres in a jerrycan for their mopeds, and let the rest piss away down the street.

Last time I was weighing in at my local caisse or is it casse? twas €130 per tonne and the prices have risen since then, there were some funny surcharges if tyres were not removed from rims and reverse surcharges for alloy wheels etc but basically €130 per tonne weighed in, plastics included which has definiteley risen since.

Go back and negotiate! and make sure that your project that you are welding is well hidden!

What is it if you dont mind me asking?

Im not too bothered about the prices really, te cars are out of sight and out of mind, and can rest there as far as I am concerned. For those prices, its too much hassle for me to drag them out, and I doubt the scrapmans lorry would be able to get to them.

As for the project, Its an old mini van. Found on ebay near toulouse as a bare shell with UK reg plates. It had a French insurance sticker from 1992 and appears to have been off the road since then.

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/octnov2007010Small.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/octnov2007004Small.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/DSCF0019Small.jpg[/IMG]

I have got the replacement floors pretty much finished, just a few spots to weld, then fit up the outer sills, before I move onto the a-panels, r/h door step, then a few patches here and there and I can get the body prepped for paint. I was hoping to have it finished by now, but funds are a bit tight, and the problems I have had with the welder has knocked the schedule right off. I may leave it even later as I may be going back to UK in september, and if I do, i will pick up all the required replacement panels then, saving the higher french prices.

Archived