Complete France Forum

English caravan

valB

Yes, I know somewhere this has been asked before and I have been searching for the thread but have now lost the will to live so don't shout at me as I am cold and fragile today. We have an English van and we are thinknig of taking to UK and leaving it there. It has not been registered in France as we have never used it but I understand there are temporary plates that can be applied just to get it to England. We have an English car with French plates but unlike UK we ca[;-)]nnot just put duplicate plates on the van, well, not legally that is. Anyone know how we get around this ?  [;-)]  [;-)]  [;-)]

Lots and lots of winks there Val, so I'm not sure if you're looking for the legal way to do this or something else? 

I think the post you were searching for was by Sunday Driver (of course)...

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The code de la route recognises that people may need to temporarily use unregistered vehicles on the road, eg imported cars where the plates/seals have been retained by the original foreign authorites - and unregistered trailers/caravans.....[;-)]

Accordingly, you may obtain a provisional carte grise with a WW registration number that is valid for fifteen days - enough time to collect the caravan and deliver it to your property.

Just apply to your prefecture - fill in the usual demande de certificat d'immatriculation form and hand it in together with proof of ownership of the caravan, passport and proof of address.  The fee is the base rate applicable for 1CV - 32€.  Carte grise issued, get a new plate made up and you're off...

[/quote]

The thread that I found the post in is http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1128827/ShowPost.aspx#1128827

Thanks for the link - saves me explaining the process all over again.

However, I should point out that the WW carte grise is only valid within France.  It works for people bringing non-registered foreign vehicles/trailers into France, where registration is ultimately expected to take place, but has limitations for people 'going the other way'.  

Whilst it would allow you to legally tow the van up to the Channel ports, as far as the UK side is concerned, you'd be taking the risk that some UK traffic cop would query the temporary plate.  He'd likely be aware that French caravans have different plates to the towing vehicle, but whether he'd be sufficiently au fait with the ins and outs of the French registration process to recognise the plate as a temporary one - and know that it was invalid - is something you'd need to consider for yourself......[;-)]

Thanks Sunday Driver for your info and Jacui, we have a big car and we could always use our number plate from our trailer but it would still be illegal. I would be a bag of nerves all the way to the ferry port. I suppose we could plead ignorance if stopped but would all the LF members visit me inside.[:)][:)]

Archived