Complete France Forum

scrapping cars

Sunshine

I have checked the thread for scrapping cars from February,

I have just had a terrible experience with my breakdown cover,  they arranged for a Tow truck to deliver to my garage but he decided he knew where HE should tow my truck. It went missing for a week and was found in Montauban _ i live near Cahors!

Of course the breakdown service refuse to towe it closer to home as I have exceeded the 180 tow truck allowance, so well and truly stitched up. The garage want 600 euros to open the bonnet before they will look at it, so I shall scap it.  But I need to do this quick does any one know of a contact in Montauban where I can give away my French registered Grand Cherokkee jeep.

Hi

I would never gave agreed t send it to the Jeep garage because of the cost let alone the fact I live north of cahors so not easy to get to. with no transport.

We are expecting a call from the garage re scrapping and I shall ask my husband to mention asking the mechanics etc shame as the car has always been very good with very few problems, but at 9 years old I suppose she is in her twilight years.  Its was just a fuel pump problem i think,

If any one wants a free Jeep but they must collect - let me know, she has all the usual goodies for a top of the range Jeep with sun roof and Air con all in good condition plus good tyres and I think there is a unused one for the spare! 

I beleive that it is quite normal for the breakdown cover that comes as standard with your car insurance to tow the car to the nearest dealer, nearest to where the car broke down not nearest to your home or your personal choice of garage. On top of that there is usually an arrangement to get you and your passengers to your home or destination and often back to the garage once the repairs have been done.

Before going any further trying to give your car away you should consider that you probably owe by now significant storage charges, could this be the €600 that you refer to? In any case the dealer is not likely to release the vehicle to a third party until the storage charges are paid.

Your best bet may be as advised to ask the dealer to take ownership of the car.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but I doubt that you have been treated nay different to anyone else using the breakdown cover, AA/RAC 5star homestart recovery to home it aint but then it costs pennies by comparison, there are very few alternatives like Europ-assistance and you would be surprised to see just how restricive the cover is compared to what you may have been used to.

The scenario with the garage that I surmised would be axactly the same in the UK.

Hi thanks for the information.

I would blow my top if I incurred storage charges as I was not informed until last friday where it had been taken.  My chosen garage were getting angry as  my insurance agent  and us  were calling to see what was happening and why a delay.  Only then did they tell us it was sent to another garage without us knowing.

Guess I get on to my agent pronto.

Regards

sunshine or is ts rain  

[quote user="Sunshine"]

We are expecting a call from the garage re scrapping and I shall ask my husband to mention asking the mechanics etc shame as the car has always been very good with very few problems, but at 9 years old I suppose she is in her twilight years.  Its was just a fuel pump problem i think,

If any one wants a free Jeep but they must collect - let me know, she has all the usual goodies for a top of the range Jeep with sun roof and Air con all in good condition plus good tyres and I think there is a unused one for the spare! 

[/quote]

A few years ago I would have jumped at it, but not now (I already have too many toys). Nine years for a Jeep is not old, its just that the market for big engines has collapsed.

You don't say which engine but if its 4.0 litre or 4.7, they will run forever. As regards getting rid of it, I'm sure that one of the mechanics at the Jeep dealers would take it off your hands, just make sure, as mentioned previously, that whoever has it pays all charges.

Fuel pump failure is pretty rare but they are not a cheap part to replace. If its a diesel, then injector pumps are even more expensive but they can be overalled.

Good luck with it.............

Gary.

If you do give your car away, or scrap it, it's important to inform your insurers about it. Otherwise they will continue to send you renewal notices and demand payment. Someone on here had this problem.

There is a particular form to use for this purpose - try the Prefecture, or you can probably download it.  

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Hi

I mentioned your predicament to a friend of mine and he is very interested in it.  He has access to a car transporter trailer etc.

Can you PM or email me your email address please so I can put the two of you in touch?

[/quote]

Please don't scrap your car!!

I am Pierre's friend and I'm really interested in this car! On the 6./7. Dec. I could perhaps get a car trailer and pick up the car.

So tell me, if you are interested to give away the car and we arrange everything.

Send me your email address, please!

Thanks!

Regards,

Domino

Archived