Complete France Forum

What's involved in running a tractor?

Bluebell

We've been out chopping trees in the woods today and it has been suggested that, as everyone has a tractor and trailer, then we should get one too, shared between us two English couples in the village.

Now, having never thought about it before, I do not know what is involved in keeping a tractor.  Do you have to have a Carte Grise, CT, insurance etc?  A particular category on the permis de conduire?  Any more snags I haven't thought of?

According to friends of mine who have one each (and say you should buy a David Brown!) as long as you don't take it on the road, (well only a little way [:-))]) you don't need to have carte grise, ct, or insurance. If you do use the dauphine's highway, then well you need all of it and best talk to your broker and Marie about registration etc, in addition you're supposed to have carte grise for trailers of > 500 kg; 

apparently a lot of french say des boules de la réglementation (maybe not an accurate translation)[8-|]

Edit: apparently a ''back box'' will fit on the back of the tractor would overcome the need a large trailer

We have a small tractor, and as John says, found out that it doesn't need a carte grise or insurance as long as we don't take it onto the road.

When we moved house we had it transported on a trailer.

I'm surprised no-one has replied with info. on regulations for using a tractor over a larger area, on main roads etc.

If you do not go on the public highway, then there is no requirement for vehicle registration, insurance, driving licence and you can use heating-oil ( red diesel in UK terms) for fuel.

Not going on the public highway means exactly that - "just a little bit" is not a legal definition.

If you do go on the highway there are two sets of regulations, one for properly registered farmers, the other for everyone else (including agricultural contractors, people collecting firewood, etc.).

I won't go into the rules for real farmers, as you are unlikely to fall into that category.

For non-farmers, you need a car driving licence for a tractor & trailer combination not exceeding 3.5 tonnes laden weight. (a small tractor & trailer  like a grey fergy or anything up to about 50hp will easily stay inside this limit).

You need to have the tractor registered (carte grise), and have the registration number on a plate visible from the rear, and it will also need a "gyrophare" (a revolving orange beacon).

You will need insurance as well, which is not expensive.

I am lucky in that I can get to all my land without going on the highway, I have 2 grey fergys (Ferguson TE20 20 hp diesels of 1952/3) so I run them on heating oil.  My neighbour has to go on the highway, so he has his tractor registered & gyrophared, but this is not a big issue.  I have a tractor driven log splitter which will do a year's firewood in a day, and a mower; once you have a tractor you will wonder how you managed without it!

A David Brown might be a bit big, a 20 - 40 hp tractor is more suitable for "hobby" use.. old fergys & similar can be found for around 1000 euros in running order and all parts for Fergusons & Fords are easily available - they are still serious working tools, much tougher than modern expensive mini-tractors. They are generally cheaper in France than UK, but there is a lot of rubbish for sale. If you do need a carte grise, make sure the one you buy has got one.. saves hassle.

Good Luck!

Thank you, Ron-sur-Marne, for all your information.  Now it doesn't sound such a silly idea.  We only need one for going into the woods and bringing back the logs. I've seen those log splitters in action and stood back in amazement.  Wish we had one now as we have just seven of the biggest trees to fell before the end of next week and all will need splitting.  An arduous job when the logs are so thick.

Archived