Complete France Forum

MG Midget

eurosnugs

I want to bring over an MG Midget that is parked in my Mums garage in London.  The MOT ran out last week and the car is not currently insured.  I have seen lots of simple advice on how to get  the car registered in France so this shouldnt be a problem.  My issue is how to get it into France without having to pay for the MOT and insurance to drive it from North London to Calais.  Is there anyway I can get the car registered / insured from over here, stick the French plates on the car and then drive it over?  I am guessing that the controle technique requirement could prevent me from doing this.

Someone suggested getting a remorque and bringing it back that way but I dont really feal confident driving from Lyon with one of these.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks

Where is the destination?

I have a client who regularly runs low-loaders backwards and forwards to Europe from Essex and all over the UK. Mainly delivering and rescuing caravans and tow cars.

If you would care to PM me with the details then I will ask them.

The last car we sorted for a chum in the Pas de Calais had to be collected in Surrey and delivered to Pas de Calais.

One half of the journey was a Dead Leg: i.e. the truck had to go over empty to collect a crashed caravan and tow car: so it wasn't dreadfully expensive.

You would however need to make arrangements for the MG to be ready for collection on your behalf at short notice as these jobs tend to be Dépannage situations.

If the car will pass an MOT then you can get short term European insurance cover which then enables you to tax it. Once you have done that you can legitimately drive it all the way from London to Lyon. Once you have exported it you can cash in the tax so timed correctly it will cost you only 1 month's worth, even less if it is pre 72 and tax tax exempt of course [;-)]

The idea of getting it to Calais and then French registering it is barmy and won't fly anyway for one simple reason - you do not live there therefore have no address to register it to, and even if you did then you would have to register it again in your own department.

All very messy and inconvenient for the sake of a UK MOT [blink]

[quote user="ErnieY"]If the car will pass an MOT then you can get short term European insurance cover which then enables you to tax it. Once you have done that you can legitimately drive it all the way from London to Lyon. Once you have exported it you can cash in the tax so timed correctly it will cost you only 1 month's worth, even less if it is pre 72 and tax tax exempt of course [;-)]

The idea of getting it to Calais and then French registering it is barmy and won't fly anyway for one simple reason - you do not live there therefore have no address to register it to, and even if you did then you would have to register it again in your own department.

All very messy and inconvenient for the sake of a UK MOT [blink]
[/quote]

Plus - do you have any guarantee that when you present it for CT in Calais that it is going to pass?

Archived