Complete France Forum

Is anyone insured to drive a car on french insurance policy?

Rob

My grandparents have a french registered car insured in france with AXA. They are allowing me to use it when over there. From what i can gather from AXA's website and from what the guy at their regonal office told them,bearing in mind niether of us are fluent in french but can get by!, we dont need to do anything such as provide names or addresses of occasional drivers and that I, or anyone, would be insured to drive the car with my grandparents permission. Is this correct?

I think in general you are correct but that said I don't think it is an absolute given and you should always check the particular policy. Never take the word of an insurance agent for anything, particularly an AXA one. In any case there will probably be some age and/or inexperienced driver limitations.

I think by rights too all additional drivers are supposed to sign the insurance certificate. That's not the vignette in the window but the document it was originally detached from. This is disputed by some but on the basis that signing it cannot be to your detriment I would just do it anyway.

I asked to add my sister to my policy for a few days when she was visiting but was told I didn't need to formally notify any new drivers. The policy will, apparently, cover other people for 'occasional' use of my car, a day here or there. It seems a little loose to me, and I asked for written confirmation as a "just in case" but was told, no, it's normal practice in France!

"I think by rights too all additional drivers are supposed to sign the

insurance certificate. That's not the vignette in the window but the

document it was originally detached from. This is disputed by some but

on the basis that signing it cannot be to your detriment I would just

do it anyway."

It's written quite clearly on the  insurance card, only if you are driving in the UK or Cyprus would any other driver need to sign it.

Additional drivers are advised to have their names written on the vignette if the car is being used in England and perhaps other countries that dont automatically cover all drivers of the vehicle, this is intended to prevent the UK police arresting someone in error for not being insured (to their eyes) as they are not mentioned on the policy or vignette.

Rather naive in my eyes to expect a bobby to accept a handwritten name or signature as proof of insurance as one forum member found out to their cost some while back.

Archived