Complete France Forum

European Certificate of Conformity won't do!

Llantony

We got a C of C from Citroen UK.  When we went to make an appointment for the Controle Technique, we were told a European C of C was acceptable in all countries except France!  Checked with our garage man who agreed.  He says that even tho it's a French car, those made for export are made to a lower standard than those for the French market.  He thinks the standards were put in place to stop lots of foreign imports (and keep prices high in France).

We were right p'd off as paid £94 for C of C and faced paying 135 euros for same from Citroen France.  Went back to CT with our cert which is actually signed by a French person in Paris and has all the info required.  It was grudgingly accepted, except we need to phone Citroen to find out whether the car is 5 or 6 chevaux. Seems daft as all models must be the same.

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else comes across the same problem!

I would change my garage man - he sounds like an ill informed xenophobic idiot. With the exception of RHD the days of different build sheets for different countries, bigger batteries for Sweden etc, are long gone. Not sure where Citeon currently have factories but until two years ago Peugeot were building cars in the UK.

Edit - PSA group have factories in amogst other places Spain Portugal Italy and Morroco and any body who drives South from Bordeaux will see enough car trasporters and trains bringing Citreons into France.

To second what has been said, you do not need a cert of conf for a controle technique, if the one you have is not acceptable at the prefecture then I suggest that you get an attestation from the D.R.I.R.E which should only cost you around €67

Well, maybe the rules have changed, but we first booked a CT at our local centre and he asked for a CoC  too (in the end we didn't use him) so this is the 2nd one who asked for the CoC before doing a Controle Technique.  He did say some rules changed 3 weeks ago - which is why we have to find the horsepower- and what a palaver that was!

The garage man who does repairs etc. is of course independent, in a different village too, and has no reason to lie.  He seems very pleasant and obliging and is reasonably priced.  Anyway, all is well as our cert is acceptable.   So long as the car passes OK, or at least has no major problems, we will at last be on the way to get our new numberplates.

Archived