Complete France Forum

Prefecture.

jo

Just spent the sfternoon getting car registered and new Carte Grise in Agen. Now I´m just being nosey! not everyone was there to register their car they had brought in from another country, what other paperwork is completed at a Prefecture?

The prefect is the representative of the French state in the Department. He is appointed by the President on the recommendation of the prime minister and (I believe) reports directly to the Minister of the Interior. He is responsible for ensuring that the requirements and directives of the state are met. Among other things, he approves the budgets of each commune. There is no equivalent role in British local government.

It's misleading to suggest that you can 'buy' a Carte Grise from the Mairie.

All they are really doing is saving you the task of attending the Prefecture in person and you will still pay the same CV based fee as if you had gone to the Prefecture and got it yourself. I think I'm right in saying that the actual service is free.

[quote user="jo"]There were three points for Carte Grise´s, what was everyone doing??[/quote]

Changing address, changing ownership, registering foreign plated cars and even possibly registering new cars, although the garage does that normally.

Archived