Complete France Forum

Fulda tyres?

Jonzjob

"All the taxi drivers round here use them"

Stock tyre fitters reply when you say that you have never heard of the happy go-lucky brand tyre that they are trying to fob off on you [:)]

In this case a lot of taxi drivers do use Fulda, Barum etc.

In my experience, they are middle-of-the-range tyres with pretentions of high performance. I ran a set of 4 on a trackday car I used to own untill they wore out, and had no real complaints. I replaced them with Goodyear Eagle F1`s and noticed a decent improvement in wet weather grip though.

I would certainly have no qualms running them on a family road car.

Thank you all for your info.

I may well give them a try because I have not been impressed very much by the set of Michelin Primacy that came with our new C4. They have lasted just over 22.000K and all 4 are just about down to the wear bars! Al 4 worn evenly. I am not a slow driver, but not a tearaway by a long chalk!

I've always been impressed with Michelin, but!!!???

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

I may well give them a try because I have not been impressed very much by the set of Michelin Primacy that came with our new C4. They have lasted just over 22.000K and all 4 are just about down to the wear bars! Al 4 worn evenly. I am not a slow driver, but not a tearaway by a long chalk!

[/quote]

We also have Pilot Primacy tyres on our soon to be three year old diesel Focus estate auto. They've done 53400 kms. and I'll be asking the garage to look at them on the next service with a view to replacing them about next Spring.

There was an earlier discussion on tyre wear and I was amazed then at how few kilometres some posters were quoting when they had to buy new.

If the fronts had worn quicker than the rears I could understand it, but to have all 4 wear the same is quite bizare. I know that the alignment of all 4 wheels is OK because the wear is totally even!

Quite bizar!

When I raced in a roadgoing series we used to get tyres scrubbed to the wear bars before using them on the track, it increased grip but also bizzarely longevity, if using new tyres under these admittedly extreme conditions then they would wear out the outer edge in one session to below the wear markers whereaas pre-scrubbed tyres wore evenly across the tread and would last a whole season if you were really hard up, most were changed fairly frequently to keep the lap times down.

I now buy my pre-scrubbed tyres from the scrap yard, the set I bought over 2 years ago are still serving me well and I have done double the mileage that you have got from yours, I sincerely believe that when most people change their tyres (when they are approaching the wear limit) the best part of their usefull life is still ahead of them.

When I bought my current tyres it looked like they were close to the wear markers (although it can be deceiving) well intentioned neighbours told me "you should think about changing them soon", 2 years and 45K kms later and I am still getting the same comments, they are all pretty much evenly down to the wear markers so it is time to change, I will keep my eyes peeled for your Michelins JonzJob [:)]

PS I assume to have worn evenly you have already swopped them front to back JonzJob?

No JR. On this smartass machine it has the pressure sensors in the tyres and if you swap them they indicate the wrong wheels so the tyres are where the maker put them.

This is what I don't understand, The fronts do so much more wrk than the rears but they have all worn the same?

Those sensors are quite accurate too. I had an indication of low pressure on 2 of the tyres since we have had it and they were both just a couple of lbs down!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

[/quote]

hi ok

I have some Kohma ( spelling ) tyres on thr Fronty  bought em in the UK for silly money before we came out here .. they have done 67,000 km and I rekon they will get changed before the next CT in Aprill next year and  might still be legal when they come off .

Dave

hi

I put on michelin energy tyres, in the uk you can get them fitted for a reasonable price from costco.  I'm going to buy 4 for a golf mk5 diesel for around 200 smackers.  Here in france I would expect them to be silly money.  If only france had a competitive retailing sector, as in the uk.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived