Complete France Forum

Sat Nav Accuracy for the Countryside

Lindnarden

I'm thinking of buying a Sat Nav as my new job involves driving around a lot to assorted small hameaus and villages. The "TomTom - GPS - New XL France" is the one I'm looking at (for no particular reason) What I would like to know, having never used a Sat Nav in france, is whether they can find the small hameaus dotted around the Limousin countryside, I'm sure villages and towns are no problem but what about the wee, tiny one cow hamlets ??

Never been a big fan of Tom Tom, I have always gone for Garmin as they started out doing navigation for the US navy in 1949 (not satelite of course).

I have a UK purchased Nuvi 265W, and even with the European maps on it, it found a single house in the middle of no where, so I'd guess with dedicates French maps, should be a doddle!

Latest tomtom is good too. Only two houses in our little Chemin and it has them unlike the old version which did not have Descartes High Street. The new tomtom I have you can also speak the places you want to the unit and it works very handy whilst driving.

Wish this bit of advice had been around 18 months ago,  I purchased a ViaMichelin unit which is one of the WORST bits of kit I have ever had the calamitous misfortune to own.  

Hopeless in France,  hopeless in Britain,   erroneous one way streets,  inadequate speed info for Britain,  I could go on.

I think that Michelin got the message and stopped making them soon after I got it....

My wife likes it because I vent my anger on "Madame" rather than her.

I think most of the different companies work off the same data as they dont do the "mapping" themselves.

Choice is therefore personal preference

Try and find the one with the most up to date version (although it will be out of date in a month).

Which screen do you find easiest to read?

Test each one and see if they find the smallest hamlet you know and see if you agree with the route.

My TomTom had a special code in the box that you used the first time you connected to the internet. It validates the map on your unit and if it is old then you get a new one free of charge via download. There are a constant stream of map corrections which it updates everytime it connects to the internet (via a PC of course). It also updates/replaces the operating system as new ones become available. I suspect other GPS makers do the same but its worth checking when you buy the unit if they have this ability.

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

I think most of the different companies work off the same data as they dont do the "mapping" themselves.

Try and find the one with the most up to date version (although it will be out of date in a month).

Test each one and see if they find the smallest hamlet you know and see if you agree with the route.

[/quote]

Stan, Tomtom do own their own mapping they bought it last year.

Choices is down to features you find useful.

A very useful point I forgot until I used it again yesterday, Tomtom have a feature called map share, I went to a new development and it was not on the map so I was able to ammend this by adding the road. The next time I connect this will update Tomtom's database and once verified will be added. A very useful community thing. 

[quote user="teapot"][quote user="Stan Streason"]

[/quote]

Stan, Tomtom do own their own mapping they bought it last year.

Choices is down to features you find useful.

A very useful point I forgot until I used it again yesterday, Tomtom have a feature called map share, I went to a new development and it was not on the map so I was able to ammend this by adding the road. The next time I connect this will update Tomtom's database and once verified will be added. A very useful community thing. 

[/quote]

there are 2 main mapping companies TeleAtlas which was bought by tomtom last year and Navteq which is now owned by Nokia.  Virtually all satnavs use information from one or the other.

This also works with TomTom http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php . Called TYRE, Trace Your Route Everyhwere and a freebe to boot!

It works with Google Maps and allows you to plan any route you want and dump it to your TomTom. It really is a great bit of kit and a grand help when you are trying to find out the good routes. It is especially good if you are doing a 'round robin' type route.

I have a TomTom 720 something and I recon it's great. I also have a Garmin Etrex Vista handheld which I love for walking. Very accurate. For the car, the TT every time!

Archived